Friday, June 18, 2021
Text Size

Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?

• Matt_Poole
  • Matt_Poole's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #411 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
Good job, Gary! I hope Bill Turner checks out this thread. I did send a personal message to Anne, daughter of a 178 Sqn missing airman, so maybe she will have a bit more to contribute. So there were two airmen named Ansell on 178 Sqn at the same time: F/Sgt V. Ansell (pilot) and Frederick James Ansell (air gunner). Had I checked out the CWGC Turner listings just a bit more carefully, I would have seen the link between J.J. Turner's death and 178 Sqn. I was also thrown off by the fact that Turner's pilot, V. Ansell, is not listed in the CWGC database, so he apparently survived.

I suspect that the date of the op was the night of 27/28 August '44, with takeoff on the 27th. The ORBs often list a date at the time of takeoff, while the chosen date for recording a death is sometimes when the airman is posted missing -- the calendar day after the takeoff day.

Cheers,

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #414 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
I've emailed a copy to Bill in case he doesn't make it on to the forums.
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #415 by billturner
billturner replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
I am amazed ! The speed with which you have responded is incredible. I now know more than I could have expected in such a short time.

Many, many thanks.

I now know his name is John Johnson Turner (although the entire family refer to him as Jackie). I have his Flight Log Book (as well as my fathers James Turner who also flew Liberators as a rear gunner - 104 Squadron - among others - I'll post his details later).

Again many thanks for the great help. I'll try and get some photos together and post these as well.

More
12 years 2 months ago #416 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
You are most welcome Bill the pleasue was all ours. You may have some problems posting photos, I'm working on finding a fix but in the mean time if you have anything at all that you would like to share from either your uncle or your father just send it to me and I'll post it up on the site.
I'll welcome anything at all, photos, information even just your father's service details would be great.
All the best and feel free to come back and visit :D
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
12 years 2 months ago #417 by aestorm
aestorm replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
Dear Bill
You mentioned that your uncle was in 104 RAF at one time.My RAAF father, F/O T R Millar, was in 104 in Foggia, Italy until summer 1944 when he was seconded to 31 SAAF ,also at Foggia & he flew in Wellingtons.I think 104 took up Liberators later during 1944.

My father has a photo in the website personnel photos section -31 SAAF [c/o Gary ]

Regards
Anne

More
12 years 2 months ago #418 by aestorm
aestorm replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
Peter
Another member of the crew of 178 Lib EV961 of 14th Aug. 1944 was Sgt HL Lyne RAF .He was the man who landed in reeds on an island in the Vistula river, having been thrown out of the plane. He became a POW .I met him at a 44 Warsaw Club meeting.

My father, F/O TR Millar RAAF, also flew to Warsaw with 31 SAAF.[he was with 104 RAF before that] He later disappeared on a supply mission in Italy 12th Oct.1944-never found .His name too is on the Malta Memorial.There is a photo of his in the personnel photos section 31 SAAF

Anne

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds