Friday, June 18, 2021
Text Size

Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?

More
12 years 2 months ago #475 by billturner
billturner replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
Gary,

I've stuck up another couple of pictures.

www.wroggle.com/jt.html

Regards

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #515 by billturner
Gary,

As you know I'm really new at this investigating stuff and so have a really simple (stupid) question that I hope you can help me with (or one of your colleagues !).

I'm given to understand that my uncle Jackie was lost in a Liberator EW160 in the Danube whilst laying mines on the 28th August 1944. So I'm curious, 1st of all, where does that particular knowledge originate? In other words, how do we know he was in that plane on that date?

My reason for raising the query is I've managed to work out the last entry (which is in pencil and incredibly faint) in his Flying Log Book and it says that on the 24th August 1944 he was flying in EW280 with F/S Ansell over a place called Miskolc which I know is in Hungary. The entry also says DNCO Bombs Jettisoned which I understand means "Did not carry out" ? And I know one or two Liberators were shot down at Miskolc about this date.

So my question really is - why are there no entries after the 22nd August 1944. I understand you have orders/records from then - does any of this make sense? or is it quite simple (and I'm making it complicated /:o)

Many thanks

Bill
(I've just finished reading "The men who went to Warsaw" by Lawrence Isemonger - what a very interesting book - I shipped it from South Africa and it arrived yesterday).

More
12 years 1 month ago #519 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
Hey Bill
The info comes from the Operations Records that were written and kept by the Squadrons CO and staff.
It was common place for crews to swap aircraft and fly different kites on different nights (I'm a poet). It was also common for crews to swap members as and when required depending on the situation.
They didn't fly ops ever night, they did rotate crews and there was also the weather to consider. I'll dig out the ORBs and flick you a copy of that weeks Ops , this should help you get a better picture of what was going on from the 21st to the 28th.
Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
12 years 1 week ago #676 by billturner
I just wanted to say that I have managed to acquire the operations Record Book for Liberator EW.160 for the night of 27/28th August 1944 It lists the crew and in the Details of the Sortie or Flight notes that:

"Aircraft failed to return to base. 6x1000lbs mines carried"

I'm still digging on the internet but there seems to be no further information to confirm what happened to the plane and it's crew. Obviously I'll keep you up to date.

The record I received from The National Archives just happens to have Liberator KG.940, BV141, EW.280 and KG.940 for the 26/27th August - will send these to you if you want them?

Regards

Bill

More
12 years 1 week ago #677 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
Hi Bill
I've literally just finished (within the last few days) the ORBs for August 1944. I could of missed one so I'd love to see what you have, just to make sure I'm not missing anything.
How was your experience with ordering from the National Archives and what is the rough costs these days of getting records sent?
Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
10 years 7 months ago #1028 by AGT1969
AGT1969 replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
Hi Gary,

Do you have the operations records that you mention in the post to my cousin Bill Turner?

Andy

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds