Friday, June 18, 2021
Text Size

Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?

More
12 years 2 months ago #452 by billturner
billturner replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
Gary / Anne,

This stuff gets even more confusing...... I've found a number of website which say the oddest things about 178 Squadron and the fate of the crew.

The last one I read says :

"We came under the 15th US Air Force operationally and this had the rather odd result that anyone getting an award had his citation countersigned by the American Commanding Genereal"

and it also says:

"".......throughout the late winter, spring and summer of 1944 205 Group (of which 178 Sqdn was a part) flew as part of the 15th US Airforce, possibly the only RAF formation ever to fly under the operational control of another country?"

Also with reference to the crew:

"27/28 Aug 1944 - EW160 - No 178 Sqn - 1RTD, 1MIA, 3KIA, 2 ?- Yugoslavia"

I think I'm getting a headache /:o) and I've only just started.

Regards

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #453 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
Bill
Technically this is correct that 205 Group did come under the wing of the 15th AAF but I've never seen any reference where it says that they called the shots.
Other than providing Pathfinders (614 Squadron) I'm not aware of any operations where the RAF did anything for the USAAF. The US lived in relative luxury while the RAF/Commonwealth lived in tents that frequently blew down, got swamped or just bogged down with mud.
If you find the site with these references on post the links I'd be interested in reading what else they have to say :D
Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #467 by billturner

More
12 years 2 months ago #469 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
Thanks Bill, I know most of those links. I did look at the one on 12 o'clock high and it seems as though they have got a bit confused but someone seems to of put them back on the right tracks.
Is it ok if I "obtain" those photos from your site?
The visitors that you seem to be getting are for the most part going to be spiders, robots and crawlers. They wander the internet and index all the pages that are exposed.
You are more than welcome to create an article/page here on this site. It's not hard and probably easier or as easy as adding a page to your site and you don't need any special tools ;)
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
12 years 2 months ago #473 by billturner
I've got lists of links, but I'll put these on my web pages and you can see if any are of use.

As for any pictures or information on my pages, please feel free to copy whatever you like. I have lots more which will be 'published' as and when I have time.

I know about the robots, spiders and stuff - but since the site is actually for my own personal use I don't really care about spybots and stuff. I might protect some of the pages eventually but for the present it doesn't matter.

Regards

Bill

More
12 years 2 months ago #474 by billturner
I was telling Anne that I'm trying to dig up family photos for my site (which you will be welcome to use) of Sqd Leader Gerald John Gray, Station Commander of Biggin Hill and before that Turnhouse Edinburgh. I know I have some lying around somewhere including his obituary, just a matter of finding the stuff. I had some before I became interested in the history and of course now can't find the ruddy stuff - sigh /:o)

I also hope to find info on my wifes cousin Air Marshall Sir John Sutton, when he was in Cyprus etc with Canberras (I think). Anyway, lots of work - and digging to do....

Regards

Bill

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds