Friday, June 18, 2021
Text Size

Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #425 by aestorm
aestorm replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
Bill
F Ansell flew as rear gunner with pilot, Peter Raw RAAF DFC of 178 on 14/15th August'44 to Warsaw . Air Commodore P Raw survived the war & continued flying but died in 1988. His widow organised Polish commemoration in Victoria, Australia.I'm in touch with her son in law but it was a few years ago.

Gary
Yes.Rob, his [other] uncle & my husband & I were at an Alpine Club commem in SA 2004.I had met him earlier in 2001.

It was thought by Romagna air Finders & a contact of mine in Italy that KH158 ,my father's 31 SAAF Liberator, might be in Lake Bolsena, north of Rome.In April 2006 a search was organised by the British Attache in Rome, using underwater cameras ROV .Unfortunately the camera snagged on a helicopter on the lake beds & the search was abandoned. [a few wartime planes & others & an Etruscan city ruins lie on the lake bed !]It aroused a lot of interest in UK & Italian newspapers & TV & amongst the locals who lived by the Lake .
This is my "missing in action" website ---
freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.co...millar/millartrm.htm

Anne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #429 by billturner
billturner replied the topic: Jackie? Turner, 178 Sqn, missing 14 Aug 1944?
Gary,

My father, Jim Turner was flying Anson's at I.T.W. Ballah in October/November 1944.

The last legible entry in Jackie's flying Log Book is on the 14th August 1944 :

"Warsaw, special operation, 500', searchlights, light flak, fighters, weather good"

However, He has F/S/ Ansell as the pilot but you says he was a rear gunner?

Jackie has actually recorded Ansell as the pilot frequently and the earliest record I can find is "5th January - Aircraft type, Wellington - Num 784 - Pilot Sgt Ansell - Circuits and Landings"

So I'm a little confused (not unusual really /:o)

I intend to upload pictures to my own family website and so I'll let you know when I've done this and then you can just help yourself to any pictures or info I post there.

Regards

Bill

Not sure if the following is of interest. Typed entry stuck into Jackie's flying log detailing training on wireless:

Syllabus carried out on No.125 W/T
A/G Course at No.9(0)A.F.U. Penrhos.
Commenced 31.08.1943 Completed 19.10.43
M/F.D/F & H/F.D/F Organisations
M/F Beacon Organisation
Flying control & Beam approach
Intercomm & TR9D equipment
C.P.Installtion.Special electrical system
Marconi installations
58 hrs.Harwell boxes.Marconi T.1154/R1155
Fault finding procedure. Frequency changing. Loop &D/Practice
32 hrs. Morse

Certified Correct - ?.?.Olsen F/O
Training Wing Signals Officer

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #430 by aestorm
Bill
I think the confusion is that there were 2 Ansells.F & V.
F Ansell was the gunner & your father's pilot was V Ansell.

See some of the other posts.

Regards
Anne

More
12 years 2 months ago #431 by billturner
Anne,

Much appreciated. Thank you.

Bill

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #436 by aestorm
Gary,Bill & Matt
A conundrum :I looked on the CWGC debt of honour listing & couldn't find [for 27/28th Aug.1944] PO Mayfield ,V Ansell, WS Barron so they must have survived the crash or been thrown clear & either became POW or escapees ? .

I found JD Jarvis ,RE North JJ Turner & AH Dunning on the CWGC site & 3 of them are on the Malta memorial, but NOT RE North, so their bodies were undiscovered or the plane was on fire ? Or possibly in the Danube??

North is buried in the Belgrade CWGC cemetery so presumably his body was thrown out,found in the plane or surviived intact ???

Were they mining the Danube in Hungary or Yugoslavia ?

Anne

More
12 years 2 months ago #446 by billturner
Anne,

Family history has it that Jackie was lost in the Danube whilst laying mines? However, it may well be that the reality is that no one knows?

His last entry suggests that he was in "Warsaw, Special operations" etc.... but nothing after that. That's a lie.... there is actually one more entry that is so faint I haven't managed to read it yet (I'm working on it) however, this last entry also has Ansell as the pilot but I can't make out the date. The only other information it contains is that the bombs were jettisoned. If I manage to work it out I'll let you know.

The next page has an official stamp which simply says "Central Depository - Jul 1946 - Royal Air Force - Death Presumed"

?Presumed? I was under the impression that our Armed Forces generally knew where their personnel were ? I would also (wrongly it would appear) assumed that either all the aircrew were lost (and so no information survived) OR, one or more of the crew made it out and therefore have information?

Unfortunately, like most families, mine saw no reason to question Jackie's loss any further and accept that he is at the bottom of the Danube. I would prefer more solid information.

Anyway, thanks again for getting in touch and I'll keep you up to date with whatever I find.....

Regards

Bill

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds