Friday, June 18, 2021
Text Size

215 Squadron Aircrew Details

More
4 years 5 months ago #5456 by JnR
JnR replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
My father, Geoffrey Roberts, who flew 11 missions in Liberators as a wireless operator and beam gunner in 215 squadron died just before Christmas aged 92. He was surrounded by his family when he passed away peacefully and had a long a happy life after his experiences in the war. His service log book is one of my most precious possessions. He never spoke about the war unless asked but he had some incredible tales of daring raids. I think the real horror of war didn't hit him until the squadron transferred to Dakotas and started picking up POWs.

One chap gave him a piece of tin cut into a triangle shape. My Dad said thank you very much and looked a little taken aback. Sensing his surprise, the solider explained it was a very special piece of tin. "See that chap over there with the glasses? He took my appendix out with it and saved my life" My Dad kept always kept it.

The squadron was full of decent and brave men to whom we owe the freedoms we have today. I hope they all had as happy lives as my Dad following the war.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brianj
  • brianj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
4 years 5 months ago #5457 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
Hi Jnr,
My condolences on your fathers death. In some ways you were lucky to have him for so long.
My father was also a wireless operator / air gunner with 215 squadron at the same time as your father ( he died back in 1996).
I have quite a bit of information about the squadron and its missions if you are interested. There are also a couple of books written by airmen serving with 215 squadron which give a personal view of their life in India with the squadron. I will look them up and post details.
Regards
Brian

More
4 years 5 months ago #5458 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
Hi JnR
Welcome to the site, sorry to hear about your father's passing, sadly the numbers are thinning each year.
Have you thought about recording your father's stories in and memories so they aren't lost to the winds of time?
Maybe start a diary of what you can remember, I wish I'd done this when my Grandfather was still alive, sadly I was still in my teens then and didn't really pay as much attention as I should have done.
Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• brianj
  • brianj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
4 years 5 months ago #5459 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
Hi JnR
The books I spoke of in the last post are as follow:

"A Trepid Aviator- Bombay to Bangkok" by W. W. Fraser
Wally Frazier was a Canadian pilot with 215 Squadron. The book covers his life and Liberator mission with the squadron.
The book is written from a personal point of view and does not glorify war but tells it how it was from their fears to their triumphs.
Published by GSPH ISBN Number 1-896182-01-1

"Flights into the Night" by L Anthony Leicester
Anthony Leicester flew with 215 Squadron in the period before they converted to Liberators.
The book covers his time with 215 as well as his training and periods with other squadron.
The missions with 215 squadron were in Wellingtons and were mainly night raids.
Published by Crecy ISBN number 0 947554 84 X

"Survival of the Fortunate" by John McCredie
This book covers 99 Squadron (215s sister squadron based at the same airfield). It again gives Johns experiences with 99 squadron flying Liberators. John was an Australian pilot.
Published by publishing solutions (Australia) ISBN number 1 920892 07 9

Don't know how easy these are to obtain but you may be able to find them on eBay type sites.

Hope this helps
Regards
Brian

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds