Friday, June 18, 2021
Text Size

215 Squadron Aircrew Details

More
10 years 2 months ago #1119 by markjbastin
markjbastin replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
My Grandad Air Gunner Ken Grierson of 215 sqn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brianj
  • brianj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 2 months ago #1122 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
Hi Mark,
Good to hear from you, welcome to the site. I was going to point you at the list of crew members and number of missions but the link on the site does not work (Gary can you help - the link is www.rafb24.com/index.php?option= … ;Itemid=58 - it displays the wrong article)
I would be very interested in any photos and information you may have about your grandfather during the war.
I have had a quick look at my database and according to my records he flew 18 missions for 215 Squadron and WO M.C.Mazengarb was always his pilot. If you want any more details about missions, other crew members etc. I can send you what I have.
Hope to hear from you soon
regards
Brian

More
10 years 2 months ago #1123 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
Hi Mark
Welcome to the site glad to see that Brian is able to help.
Brian I fixed that document, for some reason it never made it over to the new host and the document was added since so it took up the slot that yours was living in. I moved things around in the Database and imported your document back from a backup fixed up the link.

www.rafb24.com/index.php?option=com_cont...7&catid=72&Itemid=58
Thanks
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
10 years 2 months ago #1125 by markjbastin
Thanks so much, Grandad never mentioned much about he time at 215 I've got his note book and Dad has a few photos I'll send soon! Me and Dad would really like as much info if thats ok. I'm so proud of him that he flew 18 missions(would love details of them!) we sadly lost him in October 2001 to cancer aged 78 years. and we all miss him so much
Thanks for you help and He would of loved this website
Mark

• brianj
  • brianj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 2 months ago #1129 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
Hi Mark,
Your grandad may have flown other missions in other aircraft as 1673 HCU (Heavy bomber Conversion Unit) was a unit to enable crews to convert from flying one type of aircraft to another. My father also was attached to 1673 to convert from flying Wellington bombers to
Liberators in August 1944. The whole of 215 Squadron were attached for conversion at this time. I have not yet transcribed the 215 records for their period flying Wellingtons but will when I get time.
If you want to find out a bit more about his missions Robert Quirks site (link is www.rquirk.com/215opps.html ) has transcriptions of the Squadron monthly reports.
You mention your grandfathers "Note Book" - is this his Flying Log book? This is the best source of information as to what he did and where he was during the war.
If you wish you can email me any photos and documents and I will upload them for you. I will send you my email address via a private message along with other information I find (see main menu on left hand side).

regards

Brian

More
10 years 2 months ago #1131 by markjbastin
The Note book is a hand written 30 page notebook of missions and Details of Ansons,Wellingtons and of course Liborators, When I've got time I'm going to write it up in a word Document and send it to you, It quiet a lot of info and may take a while with work but I'm off for a few days next week and I'll start it then. I've got some examples here

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds