Friday, June 18, 2021
Text Size

215 Squadron Aircrew Details

More
11 years 1 month ago #942 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
Haven't forgotten, have fixed my problems just clearing up the backlog of other stuff.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #946 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
Thanks for the fruits of your labor, Brian -- the 215 Squadron aircrew roster. It's tedius work compiling such a list, but you've done it. A big congratulations. I have a few tidbits to add for airmen shot down on 3 Jan 1945 aboard KH214 -- the Brodie crew. You have all of them in the list except the Burmese member of the crew, but some little things like a few initials, one rank change, and the airmen's nationalities can be added from the details I've pasted below. Six RCAF, five RAF. Sao Khun U was a member of the royal family in the Shan State of Burma. Educated in the UK, too. I think I

• brianj
  • brianj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
11 years 1 month ago #947 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
Hi Matt,
Thanks very much for that information. When I saw your post I was a little confused as to how I missed the Burmese crewman. I had another look at the records and sure enough he is there. Maybe I was struggling to interpret the name and never got back to investigate further.

The other information concerning the nationalities, names and numbers is really useful and I will update my database. I have recently been trying to look up nationalities of some crewmen but the records do not help very much. The only time nationality is mentioned is when the person is promoted or is being posted in or out of the squadron.
I have had some correspondence from a chap in Australia who is trying to sell a silver cigarette case which has the initials of a Liberator crew engraved on it. I have worked out who the crew are but cannot determine if any of the crew are Austalian. The pilot was Sgt J.H. Miller - does anyone know how I cold find out?

best wishes
Brian

More
11 years 1 month ago #948 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
Hi, Brian,

If I can find the time, I know a few others who were Canadian. The book "A Trepid Aviator" by Canadian 215 pilot Wally Frazer will have some of these. (I think you have this book, as I recall.)

For checking out the Aussies, there is a website which is a nominal roll of Australians in World War II. This might help you put one and one together, as squadron numbers are sometimes listed. See the following: www.ww2roll.gov.au/ .

One name in your list that needs a slight spelling tweak: Should be MAZENGARB. Max Mazengarb, as of a couple of years ago, was alive down in the Melbourne, Australia area. He also flew with 99 or 159 Sqn. The name definitely is with a Z, and it shows up this way in the above-mentioned Australian nominal roll. Lists 215 Sqn, too.

Of course the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's Debt of Honour Register will have more info for any other 215 Sqn casualties, such as Sgt. A. D. Harding, rear gunner, killed on 1 Jan 1945 in S/Ldr Beadon's Liberator.

Name: HARDING, ARTHUR DAVID
Initials: A D
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Unit Text: 215 Sqdn.
Date of Death: 01/01/1945
Service No: 1357558
Additional information: Son of Walter Henry Harding, and of Daisy Ellen Ann Harding, of Plaistow, Essex.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: 8. E. 2.
Cemetery: RANCHI WAR CEMETERY

Are you looking for service numbers of 215 Sqn airmen? I can come up with a couple more for you.

Again, great job, Brian, and your database will only get better with time.

Cheers,

Matt

More
10 years 2 months ago #1118 by markjbastin
markjbastin replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
Hi
My Name is Mark Bastin, My Grandad Kenneth Grierson Served in 1673 HCU and 215 Sqn in India in 1944 also served on the Short Sunderland too, His Liberator Planes He Served on(from his Note book)
EV963 "S"
KG969 "U"
EW284 "R"

More
10 years 2 months ago #1120 by markjbastin
markjbastin replied the topic: 215 Squadron Aircrew Details
double post!

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds