Friday, February 28, 2020
Text Size

My uncle WO Stewart Hamilton RAAF 178 Sqn RAF

More
6 years 8 months ago #4248 by pat atkins
pat atkins replied the topic: My uncle WO Stewart Hamilton RAAF 178 Sqn RAF
Actually, is there a copyright issue here with passing NA documents from one person to another? A discussion on another forum suggests that transcribing them for other people is OK, but passing on an actual digital image (for example as a pdf) is not, and I wouldn't want to get this forum into trouble! Does anybody know the answer?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #4252 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: My uncle WO Stewart Hamilton RAAF 178 Sqn RAF
I've been doing it through this site for the past 15 years it's all part of research in my opinion.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #5673 by alexcianky
alexcianky replied the topic: My uncle WO Stewart Hamilton RAAF 178 Sqn RAF
Hi my name is alessandro cianchetta and I found the parts of the b-24 EW106. Contact me please!!!!!!!!!!

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #5674 by alexcianky

Rowan wrote: Pilot, Killed Verona 1944 bombing the marshalling yards. 21 yoa. He seems a little lost from the records and I should like to set it right. Had he lived, he would have been ninety this year

www.awm.gov.au/research/people/roll_of_h.../person.asp?p=556747

Attachments:

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #5677 by alexcianky

pat atkins wrote: Hi there, apologies if none of this is new or helpful but I thought I'd get in touch just in case..

I have just downloaded a National Archives pdf of the 178 Sqdn Operations Record Book (ORB) Appendices covering the period of your uncle's death, which I'd be happy to email you; a F/S Hamilton, who I guess must be your uncle, is listed on Page 100 (of the pdf document - Page 82 of the original) along with the others of the crew of Liberator EW106 "U" of B Flight.

The Appendices is just a summary document so that's all it has directly naming Stewart Hamilton as far as I can see, but it also contains on Page 118 (Page 100 in the original) the orders for the operation that night of 10th October 1944. These cover the technicalities of the operation to disrupt the movement of military munitions southwards into Italy to build a new defensive line behind the Gothic Line: things like bomb loads, recognition signals, target marking, etc. However, you can go to the UK National Archives website here:

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/raf-...ons-record-books.htm

and get a downloadable pdf of the ORB itself for that period, which I'm fairly sure will contain more details of the operation and I'm assuming the loss of EW106, too. The documents cost about £3.50 sterling.

Hope this helps.

I found the pieces about the b-24 of Hamilton in Verona!please contact me This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #5678 by alexcianky
today I took the photo of the grave in Padua.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Time to create page: 0.954 seconds