RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl

• jrf84
  • jrf84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 11 months ago #491 by jrf84
jrf84 replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
Many thanks for the information.I can confirm that on my uncle's two photos the serial 43-158 is partially obscured by the artwork.

I have also a picture of the nose art of a liberator naned DIANA which has a cartoon of the Roman goddess Diana with her bow.It's an earlier lib painted in camo.It's definately not the aircraft known as DARING DIANA,that's all I can say.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #494 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
jrf84,

Glad that the Oughton book photo and info correlates with your photos.

For a millisecond my heart skipped when you mentioned DIANA, as I am hoping to find more, and better, images of DARING DIANA, BZ962, from 159 Sqn. Shot down over Rangoon on 29 Feb 1944, crew of 9 killed (including Sgt George Plank, my mom's first husband). I only have one tiny, poor contrast, out of focus print of just the DARING DIANA nose art (no good scan to share at the moment), and no other images of this aircraft have come my way yet. Cameras were rare on the squadron in early 1944, but somewhere there is a print waiting to make it onto the internet...Hope springs eternal.

Regards,

Matt

More
10 years 11 months ago #495 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
Matt, put together a brief help message with your contact details (the ones you want the world to see) and I'll add a message to the front page along with Peter's request.
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
10 years 11 months ago #500 by Matt_Poole
Thanks for the offer, Gary. I'll write up a short plea when I finish an unrelated bit of work. Another Daring Diana photo is on my annual "what I want for Xmas" list. I don't want a horsie...world peace is unattainable...yes, I'd like a million bucks...but really I just want a nice Daring Diana photo (showing more than just the nose art).

More
10 years 11 months ago #501 by Matt_Poole
Back to the original KN746 "GLAMOUR GIRL" topic. Robert Livingstone noted that there is a photo of this Liberator on pg 213 of the book "Each Tenacious". Full book details:

Edgerley, Sq/L. A.G. Each Tenacious: A History of No. 99 Squadron (1917-1976). Worcester, UK: Square One Publications, 1993. ISBN 1-8720-1767-3.

I do not have a copy, though.

More
10 years 11 months ago #502 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
Thanks for the heads-up Matt. Here's a picture of the nose art from Each Tenacious.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds