Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Text Size

Liberator Crash

More
5 years 11 months ago #3868 by HHH
HHH created the topic: Liberator Crash
:) Hi, My name is Ann and I am trying to find out what happened to the Liberator that my father was travelling in 30/04/1945. As far as I know the pilot was F/O Berrigan. My father Ernest William Hancock was a F/O acting as Instructor in a Liberator, possibly EV931 "B" when the plane went down 15 miles north of Gaza in Palestine. Six of the crew survived. Any comments would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #3869 by oibert
oibert replied the topic: Re: Liberator Crash
Hi Ann and welcome to the forum, things are a little slow here so someone with a bit more knowledge than i will be along to advise soon, but to be going on with from what i can gather EV931 "b" was on strength with 1675 hcu at the time you mentioned so that would fit with your dad being an instructor. As a matter of interest there are some photos of 1675cu here if you just click on training schools under image galleries you will find them. Also it looks like EV931 "b" was still on strength till 1946 so that would indicate that she was repaired after the incident you mentioned but as i said before someone with more experience than i could prove me wrong. Anyway good luck with your research.
Regards Robert
The following user(s) said Thank You: HHH

More
5 years 11 months ago #3870 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Re: Liberator Crash
Hi Ann
I often feel like I'm just the information sharer as I seem to have as many questions as I do answers, which is probably the normal thing on a site like this. I don't profess to be the knowledgeable one I just facilitate the flow of information.
I'm afraid I don't have any more info on this aircraft at this time. I assume you have your father's logbooks and his service records from the RAF? The Service Records are always a good place to start.
Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
The following user(s) said Thank You: HHH

More
5 years 11 months ago #3871 by HHH
HHH replied the topic: Re: Liberator Crash
Thanks Gary for your e mail. I have already asked for service records but have as yet got no answers. I will keep trying.
Ann

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds