Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Text Size

Hello!!

More
4 years 10 months ago #4277 by stephen whitehead
stephen whitehead replied the topic: Re: Hello!!
Hello Richard,
I asked my father and he said that although he did not recognise your dads name immediately he may recognise the face if you have a photo of him. He said that his crew were on 104 squadron flying wellingtons and were then transfered to 40 squadron about when 104 converted to Liberators. They converted to libs as members of 40 squadron a little later at Abu Sueir.

Steve W.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #4744 by binbrook74
binbrook74 replied the topic: Re: Hello!!
Hi
I totally forgot about my post on here regards My Grandfathers Brother Jack upsall. For some reason i cant access my private messages to read them so i cant read them.
Sadly Jack died last year but i have been asked by his wife Doreen to see if i can find any details regards Jack and his time on the Squadron and also any photographs.
Sadly my grandfather and his brother jack died within a year of each other so i cannot get there memories onto paper anymore and the photo i had of Jack in front of his A/c has dissapeared when the family emptied my Grandfathers property so please if anyone can help with regards any details of Jack Upsall Navigator with any details of raids etc he was on and any pictures please get in touch as i would love to find anything i can .
My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if anyone can help.
Many thanks in advance
Darren

More
3 years 3 months ago #4745 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Re: Hello!!
Hi Darren
Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, I know exactly how you feel.
I\'ve now fixed the messaging system, all your message should still be in there.
I broke a lot of components when I did the upgrade but I\'m slowly fixing them. My only trouble now is time, between family, work, other hobbies and recovering from major Operation last year I\'m not getting as much time on the keyboard as I\'d of liked. I seem to be spending what spare time I have repairing things and introducing new ways to thwart those that want to do harm to the site, It\'s relentless. I guess it\'s the cost of having a site that allows the viewers to interact.
I\'ll keep my eyes open for anything that could be of use to you.
Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
3 years 3 months ago #4748 by michaelmcgrory63
michaelmcgrory63 replied the topic: Re: Hello!!
Hi Steve,
Browsing today I came across your post . You say that your Dad Ted was a w/op at Amendola.
I wonder if he is the Ted Whitehead I met at St Johns Wood in June 1943?
My name is Mike McGrory and was also at RAF Amendola as a wop/ag with F/sgt Rushton flying with.178 sqdn..

I have a pic somewhere, with a few friends, of those bygone days at St John\'s. I remember their names. Jeff ?, Denny Robertson, Ted Whitehead, Harold Wild & me.

If I receive a reply Steve, I will dig out the photo & send it to you.

After St Johns Wood I went to RAF Bridgenorth, square bashing, then RAF Yatesbury, radio school.

I am the last surviving member of W.Rushton,s crew.

Take care & regards to Ted.

Mike McGrory.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #4749 by stephen whitehead
stephen whitehead replied the topic: Re: Hello!!
Hello Mike,
I don\'t think it was the Ted you are thinking of. Unfortunately he died last year, but we did discus his wartime career on several occasions and I don\'t recall him ever mentioning St Johns wood at all.
He was at Yatesbury for the first half of \'44, but then I guess many W/op\'s went there.
From Yatesbury he went to 77OTU Qastina for the second half of \'44, then on to 104 Squadron at Foggia main in January \'45. He switched to 40 Squadron in March \'45 and was still with them when they moved to
Abu-sueir. I don\'t think he was ever at Amendola.

Darren if you see this post I have tried to attach a copy of what I believe is the photo you refer to in your post.
Ted Whitehead is on the far left, and Jack Upsall is standing next to him.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by stephen whitehead.

More
3 years 3 months ago #4750 by michaelmcgrory63
michaelmcgrory63 replied the topic: Re: Hello!!
Hi again Steve,

I am so sorry to read about your dad. I should have realised that your post was almost 2 years old.
please accept my condolences Steve.

As I couldn\'t attach the pic I have, I will send it to Gary, who may manage to post it for me.

I was at Yatesbury, !3 AGS El Ballah in Egypy, 77 OTU Qastina, Abu Suier HCU , Foggia Main (Amendola), That\'s why I think I may be right. WE shall know when you see the photo Steve. I do supppose there was more than one Ted Whitehead Would be nice to help you fill in some gaps in your search.

Take Care, kind regards, Mike.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds