Monday, October 22, 2018
Text Size

Hello!!

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #1219 by Tail End Charlie
Tail End Charlie created the topic: Hello!!
Hello Everybody,

My name is Dave and I have recently discovered my father's Flight Log book and with it a small collection of photos. As Dad spoke very little about the war, only that he was a rear gunner of Wellingtons & Liberators, I have little to go on.

His name was Keith Laverick and according to his Log book he was in 77 OTU (Moffat, S Rhodesia) and qualified as an Air Gunner in Aug '44. He joined 104 Squadron in Jan '45 for a couple of months before joining 40 Squadron in March '45.

The pilot throughout his Log is F/S David Faber and the crew (from one of the photos) was Nav- Jack Upsall, W/OP- Ted Whitehead, B/A- Hugh Shankland. The photo is marked as "Foggia 1945 - Faber's Flying Fools". I'm guessing this was early '45 as the plane in the background is a Wimpy).

Another, rather haunting, photo is dated Feb 1945 of 20 men (and a small black dog) in front of a Wimpy. Written on the back is a reference to "Black Sunday" and that Faber's crew are the only ones still living. I can only guess as to what the horror that Black Sunday could mean, but would anybody have an idea to what this refers to?

I would be most grateful if anybody has any more info regarding my father and the crew he flew with?
I am in the process of scanning the photos so I can upload them.

Many thanks for your time.

Kind regards

David Laverick
Ware, Hertfordshire, UK

PS. Fascinating website, very well put together.
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Tail End Charlie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #1220 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: Re: Hello!!
Hi Dave welcome to the site. I am sure that there will be someone out there who will be able to answer your questions about "Black Sunday".
Maybe your Dads log book could give some clues to the mission in question.
Feel free to ask questions there are some real experts who use the site who can point you in the right direction.
I look forward to seeing your photos.

regards

Brian

More
5 years 5 months ago #4206 by binbrook74
binbrook74 replied the topic: Re: Hello!!
Hi
I know this is a old thread but i thought i would post.
My grandfathers brother is the mentioned Nav Jack Upsall who is still alive and im sure he would remember your father and may have some pictures .
I know my grandfather has a picture of jack in front of a wellington but i dont know when it was taken or where.
I do hope you get to read this message as it would be great to get you in contact with jack about your father and im sure he would love to hear from you.
I have sent you a pm with my email address if you could get in contact.
Regards
Darren

More
5 years 5 months ago #4207 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Re: Hello!!
I've love to know if he gets in contact, if he doesn't drop me a PM and I'll send an email on your behalf as I don't give out the email addresses of members.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
5 years 5 months ago #4209 by stephen whitehead
stephen whitehead replied the topic: Re: Hello!!
Hello David and Brian,
I saw this topic whilst browsing the web for information on 40 squadron and joined the site in order to post a reply. My father is Ted Whitehead, the W/OP from this crew. I asked him about it and he remembers everyone and named them all before I could.
I think I may have a photocopy of the same photo that you both have.
Darren, My father mentioned that he last met Jack Upsall in a bank in the '60s and asked to be remembered to him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: binbrook74

• FLUFF 40SQ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #4217 by FLUFF 40SQ
FLUFF 40SQ replied the topic: Re: Hello!!
Hi David, the "BLACK SUNDAY" written on the photo , was referring to the 4/2/45 when three Wellingtons crashed into hillsides in the areas of San Severo, San Nicandro and Aprecina due to low cloud. Thirteen crew members lost their lives.
I found this on the 40 Squadron operational records disc that i have , researching my dads crew, and i also found your dads name on one op for 40 Sq only 7/3/45 GEMONA M/YDS ( WELLINGTON LP 331 "B". CREW.......F/S FABER, SGT MASON, SGT WHITEHEAD, SGT SHANKLAND, SGT LAVERICK. It seems like the crew were moved on elsewhere. My dad was w/op on a flight piloted by F/S FABER , who stood in for his skipper once.

Hope this helps

Richard
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by FLUFF 40SQ.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds