Text Size

Identify Liberator in Picture

• Dugan
  • Dugan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 4 weeks ago #5484 by Dugan
Dugan created the topic: Identify Liberator in Picture

My quest is to identify the liberator in the picture . My brother was the skipper and he is on the left of the group .He carried the picture in his wallet until his death .It was then passed on to me it

was in rather a state but I managed to restore it .. Any help will be appreciated .
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 weeks ago #5485 by Smith 565
Smith 565 replied the topic: Identify Liberator in Picture
Good day Dugan,

What do you know about your brother's service? Any info/clue helps!

On an initial look, this is a 59 Squadron aircraft (Code letter 'I'). The first letter of the serial - subject to any retouching - is possibly an a 'F'.

Best possible match I can see at the moment is FL972, a GR.V, delivered to 59 Squadron and coded 'E' on 27 Mar 1943. SOC 18 Apr 1945.

Rather a lot of assumption though. Any of it sound likely?

Regards,

Geoff

More
2 years 11 months ago #5496 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Identify Liberator in Picture
Yes, Dugan, you can help us to help you by providing basic information on your brother. For example:

Is it possible that any more of the serial number appears on the original print? In cleaning up old photos, sometimes I have rotated photos slightly so that the ground is level, and then I crop the edges to square things up. If you did this, then possibly a little more of the serial number, at the rear of the fuselage at right, will be on the original print or scan.

What was your brother's name? We don't even know if "Dugan" is his (and your) surname.

What was his nationality? If Canadian or Australian, it is especially easy to obtain evidence of his postings and movements.

Have you, by chance, obtained a copy of his personnel file?

Do you or another relative have his logbook? What Liberators are mentioned in it, and the dates of entries? Is FL972 noted? Was he on 59 Squadron, or another?

Is there anything written on the back of the photo?

Are there any other photos of his that survive which show the faces of his crew, or anyone who might match a face in your photo?

Do you or others in the family have surviving wartime letters from your brother? Do they mention Liberators? What is the return address on each letter (if any) -- and does it include a squadron identification such as 59 Sqn or a location such as Ballykelly?

FL972 was delivered to 59 Squadron on 27 March 1943 and did, indeed, receive the fuselage letter code "E" -- all of this per James D. Oughton's book, "The Liberator in RAF and Commonwealth Service". The nosewheel collapsed on takeoff from Ballykelly on 2 Dec 1944. Struck Off Charge on 18 April 1945.

Hoping you will respond. We are here to help you.

Cheers,

Matt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #5497 by Matt_Poole
A closeup of Dugan's photo, showing just the men and the nose art.

EDIT: The display of the cropped photo is the same size as the original photo's display. I thought the crop might display as a larger image. Wasted effort to crop it...
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Matt_Poole.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
2 years 11 months ago #5498 by Matt_Poole
You're welcome, Dugan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smith 565

More
2 years 6 months ago #5545 by Matt_Poole
It's very frustrating that someone posts asking for help, then disappears. Mind you, Dugan may have a good excuse, like sickness or worse. DUGAN, IF YOU'RE OUT THERE, you can still receive our help. Some of us (like me) can be crotchety, but we're puppy dogs deep down and just want to help you, tails wagging.

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds