• jasek
  • jasek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 5 months ago #4823 by jasek
jasek created the topic: No. 99 Sqn RAF
Hi all,
i\'m doing research for an acquaintance who\'s uncle was killed in a collision that happened with a Liberator from 99 Sqn RAF and I believe a 356 Sqn RAF Liberator on the 21st January 1945, over their form up point. Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #4825 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: No. 99 Sqn RAF
Jasek,

Please tell us what you know, such as what the uncle\'s name is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

• jasek
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #4826 by jasek
jasek replied the topic: No. 99 Sqn RAF
2209607 Flt Sgt Watson, William T RAFVR (Air Gnr), No. 99 Sqn RAF

Commemorated on the MAYNAMATI WAR CEMETERY with the rest of his crew, whom are listed below:

1378229 WO N Sayer RAFVR (Pilot)
1543863 Sgt FJ Wright RAFVR (Co Pilot)
542789V Lt AL Spafford SAAF (Navigator)
424655 FO CL Woolford RAAF
2209607 Flt Sgt WT Watson RAFVR (Air Gnr)
1691748 Flt Sgt W Watchman RAFVR (Air Gnr)
1305035 Flt Sgt MH Trice RAFVR (Air Gnr)
130500 Flt Lt MT Simpson RAFVR (Bombardier)
1802330 Flt Sgt HRJ Rose RAFVR (W.Op/Air Gnr)
1627512 Flt Sgt PAW Reader RAFVR (Flt Engr)

The pilot of the other Liberator that collided with them in the circuit was WO N Bicard. Further help was found on this site. The collision occurred between KG974 and KH254 at Dhubalia, India. Just wondering which aircraft was flown by which pilot and whether there is any documentation or photos available?
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by jasek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
4 years 5 months ago #4829 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: No. 99 Sqn RAF
All your answers are here:

1. Go to www.naa.gov.au

2. At upper right you\'ll see the text \"Search the collection\" inside a box. Type 410044 in the box.

3. Hit \"Go\" to the right of that box.

4. A listing of National Archives of Australia documents pertaining to 410044 N.T. Biccard (not Bicard, as you typed at the end of your last message), RAAF -- the skipper of Liberator KH254 -- will appear.

5. The first document listed is the A705 casualty file on Biccard\'s loss. You will notice an icon in the column labeled \"Digitised item\", which means that the Nat\'l Archives of Australia has digitized this entire file and put it on-line, for free viewing and downloading. (Someone requested it -- maybe a family member.) Simply click on this icon to gain access to the 58 pages of this file.

Of these 58 pages, the most informative ones, I\'d say, are: pp 8-12, 40, 41, 43-46, 58, and 59. Note that the full crews of each of the colliding Liberators are listed in #44. The last two pages I listed, #s 58 and 59, have next of kin names and addresses, with typos in some cases. In a rush, I might have missed another similar document or two with NOK info. This info can be very valuable for genealogy searching for family.

Your listing is of only 10 men, some from each crew, yet a total of 23 died and are listed in #44.

In #44 you will see that a total of three RAAF airmen died in the collision. Of these three, only Biccard\'s A705 casualty file has been digitized. Nobody has requested a scan of the other two (Woolford and Geeves), but for a fee the Nat\'l Archives of Australia will scan them and put them on-line for everyone. Many of the documents in those files will be identical to what is found in the Biccard file, but there will also be items pertaining only to the Woolford or Geeves families. Could be personal letters from kin.

Since the acquaintance you are helping was on Woolford\'s Liberator, he or she might be curious to learn more about the Woolford A705 file.

Also, you\'ll note on the page listing Biccard\'s A705 that his A9300 personnel file was also digitized. You can learn interesting things by perusing this file. Similarly, Woolford\'s A9300, if digitized, would reveal good biographical info on him.

You can get a listing of the Woolford files by searching on his service number: 424665 (not 424655
-- the error you made in your listing of his svc no). You can get a listing of the Geeves files by searching on his service number: 428016.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jasek

• jasek
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 years 5 months ago #4831 by jasek
jasek replied the topic: No. 99 Sqn RAF
Matt, fantastic thank yoiu

More
4 years 5 months ago #4832 by kemp42
kemp42 replied the topic: No. 99 Sqn RAF
Amazing - I go on the net looking for info on F/Sgt W T Watson and here I find someone else researching him !
I have just finished transcribing 2311 Egremont Cemetery headstones and am researching any that have war dead remembered on them. Hence my interest in W T Watson.
I have photos of all the headstones if you want a copy but of course you may already have one ?
If I can help, let me know.
Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: jasek

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds