Text Size

Repair of Liberators by mechanics of Polish 2nd Armoured Brigade

• ChrisW01
  • ChrisW01's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #180 by ChrisW01
ChrisW01 created the topic: Repair of Liberators by mechanics of Polish 2nd Armoured Brigade
Hello my name is Chris and I just joined the forum.

Would like to know if anyone has information, can direct to a source, or has heard mention of an event regarding tank mechanics of the Polish 2nd Armoured Brigade, Polish 2nd Corps in Italy being utilized or volunteered as skilled labor to overhaul/repair landing gear on SAAF B-24 (No.31 or 34 Squadron) and commonwealth Spitfires and Wellingtons (Squadrons unknown).

This story was related to me by my late uncle Michal Krzywoszanski who was one of those individuals and I am researching his life during the war. He was a tank mechanic in the LAD (Light Aid Detachment, "czolowka naprawcza") of the Polish 4th "Skorpion" Armoured Regiment. He never mentioned where or when this happened in Italy or the circumstances. Kindly asking if anyone knows of a recollection, mention or record existing of Polish armoured vehicle mechanics from the Polish 2nd Armoured Brigade being temporarily utilized or volunteered as skilled labor to an MU or RSU of the RAF or SAAF in Italy in 1944/45?

It's only a theory but I believe this may have been part of a larger unofficial expression of Polish gratitude for SAAF No. 31 & 34 and other commonwealth squadron efforts during the Warsaw uprising (I know Spitfires and Wellingtons did not fly to Warsaw). These maintenance units may have found themselves shorthanded and some skilled labor helped make up the shortfall. I have enquired to the Polish Institute & Sikorsky Museum in London and the SANDF Doc Centre in Pretoria South Africa; they unfortunately could find no information regarding this event. The UK Archives in London (Kew) have an extensive list of MU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ChrisW01
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #1009 by ChrisW01
ChrisW01 replied the topic: Repair of Liberators by mechanics of Polish 2nd Armoured Brigade
Hello my name is Chris and I just joined the forum.

Would like to know if anyone has information, can direct to a source, or has heard mention of an event regarding tank mechanics of the Polish 2nd Armoured Brigade, Polish 2nd Corps in Italy being utilized or volunteered as skilled labor to overhaul/repair landing gear on SAAF B-24 (No.31 or 34 Squadron) and commonwealth Spitfires and Wellingtons (Squadrons unknown).

This story was related to me by my late uncle Michal Krzywoszanski who was one of those individuals and I am researching his life during the war. He was a tank mechanic in the LAD (Light Aid Detachment, "czolowka naprawcza") of the Polish 4th "Skorpion" Armoured Regiment. He never mentioned where or when this happened in Italy or the circumstances. Kindly asking if anyone knows of a recollection, mention or record existing of Polish armoured vehicle mechanics from the Polish 2nd Armoured Brigade being temporarily utilized or volunteered as skilled labor to an MU or RSU of the RAF or SAAF in Italy in 1944/45?

It's only a theory but I believe this may have been part of a larger unofficial expression of Polish gratitude for SAAF No. 31 & 34 and other commonwealth squadron efforts during the Warsaw uprising (I know Spitfires and Wellingtons did not fly to Warsaw). These maintenance units may have found themselves shorthanded and some skilled labor helped make up the shortfall. I have enquired to the Polish Institute & Sikorsky Museum in London and the SANDF Doc Centre in Pretoria South Africa; they unfortunately could find no information regarding this event. The UK Archives in London (Kew) have an extensive list of MU

More
9 years 6 months ago #1011 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Repair of Liberators by mechanics of Polish 2nd Armoured Brigade
Hi Chris
I've not hear anything official to this but there are plenty of rumours floating around (nothing specific) and it really wouldn't surprise me if this were the case given the bond that seemed to have formed with the different units of 205 Group out in Italy.
All the best
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• ChrisW01
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #1012 by ChrisW01
ChrisW01 replied the topic: Repair of Liberators by mechanics of Polish 2nd Armoured Brigade
Appreciate the reply Gary.
It's not much but is something. Rumours you say?
Even if nonspecific please do tell.

Regards
Chris........

More
9 years 6 months ago #1013 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Repair of Liberators by mechanics of Polish 2nd Armoured Brigade
I just remember being told by an ex F/E that he remembers Polish mechanics working on the planes of 178 Squadron.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• ChrisW01
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 6 months ago #1014 by ChrisW01
That's interesting Gary. I'm guessing he never distingushed whether these mechanics were Polish Army or Airforce. Would you or anyone know which MU's or RSU's 178 Squadron used? Might prove to be a lead. Do they have a Squadron Association?

Chris........

Gary wrote: I just remember being told by an ex F/E that he remembers Polish mechanics working on the planes of 178 Squadron.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds