• brianj
  • brianj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 4 months ago #126 by brianj
brianj created the topic: Could someone identify Liberator in Photo
Hi
I have just posted a photo from James Moran which shows a 215 Squadron Liberator with 7 crew/ground crew - could someone identify it for me. The nose art shows what looks to be Mickey Mouse juggling bombs!.
I include a link to the photo below
http://rafb24.com/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&page=inline&id=1171]

thanks

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brianj
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 4 months ago #795 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: Could someone identify Liberator in Photo
Hi
I have just posted a photo from James Moran which shows a 215 Squadron Liberator with 7 crew/ground crew - could someone identify it for me. The nose art shows what looks to be Mickey Mouse juggling bombs!.
I include a link to the photo below
http://rafb24.com/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&page=inline&id=1171]

thanks

Brian

More
10 years 4 months ago #812 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Could someone identify Liberator in Photo
Hi, Brian.

I can't ID the Lib, but a closeup of the Donald Duck (not Mickey Mouse) nose art is found in the nose art section of Gary's site:

rafb24.com/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&page=inline&id=693

Robert Quirk apparently submitted the photo, so I'll ask Robert if he has any more info on the photo. I can tell from the closeup text painted at lower right that the photo was taken at Chakari, India - a post-war Lib boneyard in India.

Cheers,

Matt

More
10 years 4 months ago #813 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Could someone identify Liberator in Photo
I just heard back from Robert. No further identification was noted in his records, unfortunately. Disappointing, but SOMEONE out there has the answer.

• brianj
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 4 months ago #814 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: Could someone identify Liberator in Photo
Matt,
Thanks for that. I am trying to find out information for James Moran whose grandfather was a member of the ground crew with 215 Squadron. This was one of his photos and I thought that if I could identify the Lib (it appears in two of his photos) that might help in identifying who flew the plane. I have read somewhere that ground crews worked on the same plane during their time with the squadron.
The problem with ground crews is that there is not very much information available about them.
If what you say that the photo was taken at Chakari and had been scrapped it might not help very much.
If, as you say it is Donald Duck, I assume it flew as "D" with the squadron which would make it KH320, there was another "D" that flew with 215 but it was shot down (it was KH214).
I had seen the nose art photo but was not sure what the character was (you see it takes an American to recognise it! -or a stupid Englishman who cant tell the difference between a mouse and a duck!).
Thanks again
Brian

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds