215 Squadron Liberator raids

• brianj
  • brianj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 7 months ago #105 by brianj
brianj created the topic: 215 Squadron Liberator raids
I have now updated my table containing details of all the Liberator raids carried out by 215 Squadron giving plane IDs and captains.
There are probably quite a few errors in terms of plane ID as the records are difficult to read in places. The table can be found under RAF Squadrons > 215 Squadron > Squadron Raid Details from the main menu.
I now have all the details in a database so it is easy to update and change.
My long term aim is to add all the crew members to this database but it is a slow task.
Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

cheers

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brianj
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 7 months ago #730 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: 215 Squadron Liberator raids
I have now updated my table containing details of all the Liberator raids carried out by 215 Squadron giving plane IDs and captains.
There are probably quite a few errors in terms of plane ID as the records are difficult to read in places. The table can be found under RAF Squadrons > 215 Squadron > Squadron Raid Details from the main menu.
I now have all the details in a database so it is easy to update and change.
My long term aim is to add all the crew members to this database but it is a slow task.
Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

cheers

Brian

More
10 years 7 months ago #731 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: 215 Squadron Liberator raids
That's fantastic Brian, I keep meaning to do something like that for 178, 355, & 356 Squadrons, you've just given me the inspiration to extract digit and get on with it.
Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
10 years 7 months ago #743 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: 215 Squadron Liberator raids
Hi, Brian,

Nice job, and it must be a good feeling to get it on-line, after all the hard work in slogging through the 215 Sqn ORB.

It just so happens that about three weeks ago I went through the 215 Sqn ORB that I have and compiled a list of every serial number/letter code. There are many errors in the ORB, some of which are unresolved. The pre-op Battle Order might give one serial/letter code combo, and then the post-op Sortie Report might make a change...or just a partial change. And then the Form 541 post-op summary might say something else! It's really tough sometimes to untangle the mess, and other times it's just a matter of logic...and luck.

As I write this from work (can't get to my files from here), Gary is mulling over how to put my latest research onto his site - my 90 page analysis of the Oughton RAF & Commonwealth Liberator book's errors and discrepancies (with many additional tidbits, too). It was during the creation of this document that I felt I should go through the 215 Sqn ORB and compile the serials and letter codes.

Right now the document is available for downloading, or just viewing, as a pdf file at our friend Robert Quirk's website, at:

www.rquirk.com/RAFLiberators/Oughton/OUG...book%20NOTESVer1.pdf

But I do intend it to be on both Robert's and Gary's sites. We'll come up with something.

In the search box at the top of the pdf pages, enter 215 and search for each listing in the document. Every one of the 215 Sqn Libs is in this document somewhere. You might do better by searching on 215 Sqn, not just 215.

This could help you a bit until I get a better list together to send to you by e-mail.

215 Sqn only flew Libs for a few months, in-between flying Wellingtons and then Dakotas. This makes for a nice, not-too-long Liberator-only segment of the ORB to delve into. Other squadrons with longer Liberator timeframes are a bear to study. 159 Sqn, for example, is just plain maddening, with a million and one errors, missing Sortie Reports, incomplete data (i.e., only letter codes noted, not full serials, for long stretches), and so forth. Why didn't those clerks of yesteryear think of future generations of inquisitive earthbound researchers and provide more accurate details? The nerve...

More to come...

Cheers,

Matt

• brianj
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 7 months ago #744 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: 215 Squadron Liberator raids
Thanks Matt,
There is still a lot more slogging through the ORBs to do. I am trying to complete all the crews for all of the raids. I have made the job slightly easier by putting all the information into an access data base and developing some routines to extract crews who flew with the same pilot in each mission and then only modifying them where there are changes.
I would like to do the same for the Wellington raids but this is in the future.

Your list of serial numbers/codes will be a great help - one of the problems I was having was that a lot of the ORBs are overexposed and this makes it difficult to work out what the plane letter is whereas with names quite often your brain can work out a name from several letters. I can also maybe cross reference your list with the aircraft ids in my Dads log book. My Dad was a neat writer and was a stickler for accuracy so it may help your task. A lot of the strange name places in the raids he took part in, I have found in his log book are very accurate.

As for the Oughton Book I keep hearing references to it on the site but I am not familiar with it - is it worth looking at (along with your corrections of course)?

As an aside a veteran WOP/AG of 160 Squadron living in Northumberland, has contacted me via his brother (who lives in Texas). I have spoken to him on the phone and he has done a write up about his RAF career and has promised to send me a copy. The write up also contains personal details about his family so he wants to extract the RAF details before sending them to me - so I am looking forward to reading it. You never know he may be able to supply other useful information and items such as photos etc.

Keep up the good work

regards

Brian

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds