358 Squadron SEAC

• Bob Taylor
  • Bob Taylor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 2 months ago #5565 by Bob Taylor
Bob Taylor created the topic: 358 Squadron SEAC
Hi all, new member on board signing in, my dad Sergeant Eric Robert Taylor was a airgunner with the 358 squadron SEAC, I've got some great photos to put on the site and am looking for any information and photos would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #5566 by oibert
oibert replied the topic: 358 Squadron SEAC
Hi Bob, another Bob here. my father also served with 358 and i have accumulated a bit of info on the squadron. my most informative source has been Robert Quirk's website with his transcriptions of the squadrons orbs. Having a quick read through there are quite a few Taylors but i seem to come back to one although the transcripts have various initials such as K, V. D R. and finally E R. they all have the same service number, 1846508. Do you know if this would be you dad? let me know and i would be only too happy to pass on what info i have. I am in Australia as we emigrated from the UK in the 60s so depending on where you are please allow for the time difference when replying. best regards Robert (Bob)

More
2 years 2 months ago #5567 by oibert
Just an update on my previous post the service number could also be 1896508. It looks like transcribing was a bit difficult, probably from a bit of hard to read handwriting. Regards Robert.

• Bob Taylor
  • Bob Taylor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 2 months ago #5572 by Bob Taylor
Bob Taylor replied the topic: 358 Squadron SEAC
Hello Bob just to confirm my dads service No is correct being 1896508
Please find enclosed photos
Regards Bob Taylor

More
2 years 2 months ago #5573 by oibert
Hi Bob
that is good i have zeroed in on the right person then. the first piece of information i have but not sure if you are aware of is that one of the crew members that your dad flew with was a D G Morris (wop). If this was Dickson G Morris then he was the author of a book called Beyond The Irrawaddy and The Salween. This book was a great source of info for me in my research on the squadron. It does make a fleeting mention of your Dad as their tour expired. The book also gives a great insight into what life was like for them and what their jobs involved. From the quick scan i have done on your father it seems he started flying with 358sqd around january 45 and tour expired in may 45 so he would have racked a few missions in that time. I found that trawling through the ORBs on Robert Quirks site was the best way to uncover my dads time in the squadron. Regards Robert.

More
2 years 2 months ago #5574 by oibert

Bob Taylor wrote: Hello Bob just to confirm my dads service No is correct being 1896508
Please find enclosed photos
Regards Bob Taylor

Can't see the photos Bob did you post them on this thread? Robert.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds