My uncle WO Stewart Hamilton RAAF 178 Sqn RAF

• Rowan
  • Rowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 3 months ago #4233 by Rowan
Rowan created the topic: My uncle WO Stewart Hamilton RAAF 178 Sqn RAF
Pilot, Killed Verona 1944 bombing the marshalling yards. 21 yoa. He seems a little lost from the records and I should like to set it right. Had he lived, he would have been ninety this year

www.awm.gov.au/research/people/roll_of_h.../person.asp?p=556747
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: alexcianky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #4243 by pat atkins
pat atkins replied the topic: My uncle WO Stewart Hamilton RAAF 178 Sqn RAF
Hi there, apologies if none of this is new or helpful but I thought I'd get in touch just in case..

I have just downloaded a National Archives pdf of the 178 Sqdn Operations Record Book (ORB) Appendices covering the period of your uncle's death, which I'd be happy to email you; a F/S Hamilton, who I guess must be your uncle, is listed on Page 100 (of the pdf document - Page 82 of the original) along with the others of the crew of Liberator EW106 "U" of B Flight.

The Appendices is just a summary document so that's all it has directly naming Stewart Hamilton as far as I can see, but it also contains on Page 118 (Page 100 in the original) the orders for the operation that night of 10th October 1944. These cover the technicalities of the operation to disrupt the movement of military munitions southwards into Italy to build a new defensive line behind the Gothic Line: things like bomb loads, recognition signals, target marking, etc. However, you can go to the UK National Archives website here:

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/raf-...ons-record-books.htm

and get a downloadable pdf of the ORB itself for that period, which I'm fairly sure will contain more details of the operation and I'm assuming the loss of EW106, too. The documents cost about £3.50 sterling.

Hope this helps.

More
6 years 3 months ago #4244 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: My uncle WO Stewart Hamilton RAAF 178 Sqn RAF
It does help, thanks Pat, I've got a fair portion of the 178 Squadron ORBs there are still a couple of months missing so will get those online. When I started collecting the ORBs you had to either go to Kew or pay someone to get them for you, it's great that they are digitising their records (especially as I live in New Zealand now).

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 years 3 months ago #4245 by pat atkins
Hi Gary - wasn't trying to teach my granny to suck eggs, but I've benefited from so many other people's experience over the years I reckon even the well-known stuff can be helpful to someone!

Pat

More
6 years 3 months ago #4246 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: My uncle WO Stewart Hamilton RAAF 178 Sqn RAF
No far from it Pat, I welcome any input anyone can give here, I was actually hoping to see what you had and then see if we can help each other out with missing parts. I'm hoping to kick my scanner back in to life, and I've recruited Brian Johnson from here in to transcribing some ORBs for us as well.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 years 3 months ago #4247 by pat atkins
Sounds good to me, Gary - so, I have pdf copies of the following, which I'm happy to pass on to anyone interested (pm me an email address and I'll send them to you):

178 Sqdn ORB record and summary for November 1944 (AIR 27/1121)
178 Sqdn ORB summary for January 1945 (AIR 27/1121)
178 Sqdn Appendices for July 1944 - January 1945 (AIR 27/1125)
614 Sqdn ORB record for October 1944 (AIR 27/2121)
614 Sqdn ORB summary for November 1944 (AIR 27/2121)
614 Sqdn Appendices for February 1941 - March 1944 (AIR 27/2122)

I'm looking for any mention of my uncle Don Atkins, but haven't got a squadron number for him yet so at the moment there's not much I can ask you for! But thanks for the offer of exchange: I'll be very glad of it in the future, I hope.

Cheers, Pat

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds