FL959

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
50 years 3 weeks ago #2990 by Gary
Gary created the topic: FL959

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #4815 by Bob H
Bob H replied the topic: FL959
FL 959 was attacked by 4 Junkers 88\'s while on antisubmarine patrol over the Bay of Biscay on September 2, 1943. F/O Charles Russel Wharram was killed in the first pass by the Junkers. The remaining crew engaged the Junkers in a long battle. After suffering extensive damage (loss of two engines, 2 turrets, all remaining crew wounded) the plane was ditched in the Bay of Biscay. The crew was rescued after nine days in life rafts. Only 3 of the nine man crew survived.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 4 months ago #4816 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: FL959
Thanks for the update Bob.
Do you mind if I ask where you got the info (if not your own research), just so I can update the details on the aircraft card and give the right source the credit.
Thanks
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
4 years 3 months ago #4817 by Bob H
Bob H replied the topic: FL959
This link provides quite an extensive story about Liberator Mk V FL959. My uncle F/O Charles Russel Wharram was the pilot on this aircraft. Does the reference AB refer to the alpha lettering on the aircraft?

www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php...28No-224-Squadron%29

Most of my research has gone into RAF 203 Squadron based in Egypt. My father F. Sgt. Donald Hickson was an observer on a Martin Maryland Mk 2 in 1942. They ditched near Crete while flying reconnaissance and he spent the rest of the war as a POW.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 3 months ago #4819 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: FL959
AB relates to the source of the Data, in this case Al Blue

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds