AL554

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
20 years 9 months ago #2142 by Gary
Gary created the topic: AL554

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #4210 by ally
ally replied the topic: AL554
Hi, I am keen to get more information on my late Uncle, F/S David Flockhart, a crew member on the ill fated AL554. I am putting together a framed wall mounting of his medals etc to hand down to future relatives. It would be a pity that his sacrifice, amongst so many others, would be lost so I hope to put it in a format that they can see what these guys went through. A photo of AL554 would be terrific. Does anyone know if one exits?

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #5502 by HeyTC
HeyTC replied the topic: AL554
Hi Ally -

I too lost an uncle in the very same crash. In a little bit of web searching, I have just come across Matt Poole's incredible online record of Squadron 159 and 160's Airmen’s logbooks. From this, I've been able to find out:

I did find the crew list of those that were with him: F/S David Flockhart +, F/L. N E. Sharp, F/S. W C. Stanbury + (died of injuries following day), F/S. G S. Anderson +, F/S. R L. Somerville +, F/S. Cullen inj, F/S. D. Flockhart +, Sgt. D J. Godfrey +, P/O. H C S. Cotton RNZAF +
www.rafb24.com/index.php?option=com_cont...&catid=20&Itemid=394

This snippet of information has been the most useful:
Pg 105: AL554: Further loss info: Liberator II AL554 - took off from Fayid, Egypt, at 1340 captained by 43046 F/Lt Norman Edward Sharp DFC and was attacked by a fighter over the target, although whether damage was inflicted during the engagement is unknown. On returning to Palestine, fuel began to run out and the number one engine cut. Unable to locate St Jean, a new course was set for Lydda, to the south near Tel Aviv, but while attempting an emergency landing en route at about 2255 AL554 crashed at Hadera, some 20 miles south of Haifa. Six of the crew were killed and another died of injuries the following day, leaving a seriously injured wireless operator (F/Sgt Cullen) as sole survivor. The dead are buried at Khayat Beach War Cemetery, Haifa, Israel
www.rquirk.com/RAFLiberators/Oughton/OUG...book%20NOTESVer1.pdf
www.rquirk.com/RAFLiberators/Serials/Lib...%20Poole%20Ver89.pdf

I have been in touch with Matt Poole who still has access to some records and I will also contact my family to see if I can find out what photographs that we can find ~ although it's highly unlikely to include anything from the Middle East operations; more likely FO Cotton's NZ 75 squadron in New Zealand 1940.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by HeyTC.

More
3 years 4 months ago #5504 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: AL554
And I completely missed Ally's posting 3 years and 11 months ago! Ally, are you still around? We must make contact.

Thanks to HeyTC (I'll refer to his user name, not his real name) for contacting me, and for notifying me of Ally's message.

GARY -- is it possible for you to extract Ally's email from your records and send it to me via my home email address (which you have)? In advance, thanks!

Cheers,

Matt

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 4 months ago #5505 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: AL554
Responding now old chap :)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
3 years 4 months ago #5506 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: AL554
Just to let everyone know that Gary sent me the name of David Flockhart's nephew, and then HeyTC, the nephew of HCS Cotton, another AL554 casualty, found the Flockhart nephew on Facebook.

The Facebook page includes a photo of David Flockhart, and comments that make it certain we have the same guy who posted here nearly four years ago. I sent him a Facebook friend request, and a message. Hopefully he will respond, and I can share some info and we can learn some things.

Cheers, and thanks for this forum, Gary.

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds