Text Size

Log Book Abreviations (Air Gunnery)

• brianj
  • brianj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 10 months ago #328 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: Log Book Abreviations (Air Gunnery)
Hi,
Thanks to Wimpy I had a look on the Lancaster forum for his post and some of the replies. I am awaiting my registration so I can add some of my specific abreviations. There are one or two that fit my abreviations which I list below:
FR.Q.XOVER - the FR appears to stand for firing. The Q.XOVER is for Quarter Crossover - this being where the pilot carried out weaving manouvres from port to starboard above the "drogue" towing aircraft or static target for deflection shooting exercise. This exercise was the one that failed many pupils due to chronic airsickness.

FR.G.G - 100yards splash - This is probably an exercise where the gunner shoots at a target floating in the sea (or lake) and the splashes are from rounds hitting the water which could be visually seen and assessed (not sure what the G.G stands for).

FR.BEAM - firing at a beam target? - needs to be confirmed.

KGI - 1 exercise 25 feet could be the use of a camera to film the shooting where the 25 ft is the length of film allocated to the gunner.

I will update these definitions if and when I get any

cheers
Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #329 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Log Book Abreviations (Air Gunnery)
Thanks Brian, once I get these confirmed I'll add them to the abreviations doco. George should be replying hopefully in the next couple of days, seeing as he runs the AGA he should be able to confirm ;)

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• PeterClare
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #330 by PeterClare
PeterClare replied the topic: Log Book Abreviations (Air Gunnery)
Thought I'd add a few more abbreviations taken from my fathers log book for the time he was training as an air gunner. I've posted these on other forums but with no luck.

The aircraft used in training was a Whitley.

200 rounds F.R.B.T
200 rounds F.R.B.S.T 20%
200 rounds P.P. Cone 1.5%
200 rounds F.R.B.R.S.T 10.5%

Regards
Peter

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #333 by Wimpy
Wimpy replied the topic: Log Book Abreviations (Air Gunnery)
Peter

I think 20% on an exercise is pretty good.

My Dad didn't abbreviate all his exercises on Avro Anson

Assuming that FR is as Brian says "Firing" although I think it might be "Front" perhaps some of these might match

Bullet Trail Ex
Cine Camera Ex
Beam Tracer Ex
Beam Tracer Ex V.S.???
Quarter Xover

Then as a gunnery instructor he reverts back to abbreviations on Wellington X

BRST
Beam Ex
QXU ........................ Quater X Under?
G4
G6
G9
G10
G7

Oh DCO is Duty Carried Out.

I think between us we have a lot of unknown terms. It seems strange that there was no real uniformity between air gunnery schools.

Wimpy

• brianj
  • brianj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #334 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: Log Book Abreviations (Air Gunnery)
Hi,
I have been having a closer look at my fathers log book and if I compare the flying log results with the gunnery certificate I can throw a little more light on one of the abbreviations. The FR.VT should actually be FR.UT with the UT standing for Under Tail

Brian

More
10 years 10 months ago #335 by Wimpy
Wimpy replied the topic: Log Book Abreviations (Air Gunnery)
There appears to be little uniformity in gunnery training. How does this compare Brian?

Still have my doubts that F.R. refers to firing - each letter is separarted F.R. not FR.
and if it was firing surely it would appear on all the activities where guns were fired.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds