• Matt_Poole
  • Matt_Poole's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
11 years 4 months ago #79 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole created the topic: Move the Forum link back to the Main Menu
Gary,

I noticed that you moved the link to the Forum from the Main Menu area to the bottom of the home page. This is really going to confuse users and will force those who don't know where the link is to search a visually busy page for the word Forum.

As the home page comes up on my computer, the Forum link is not even visible. I have to scroll down to find it. Honestly, it belongs on the left, where it was, for logic reasons. Otherwise, potential users will be frustrated and maybe scared off.

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Matt_Poole
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
11 years 4 months ago #598 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Move the Forum link back to the Main Menu
Gary,

I noticed that you moved the link to the Forum from the Main Menu area to the bottom of the home page. This is really going to confuse users and will force those who don't know where the link is to search a visually busy page for the word Forum.

As the home page comes up on my computer, the Forum link is not even visible. I have to scroll down to find it. Honestly, it belongs on the left, where it was, for logic reasons. Otherwise, potential users will be frustrated and maybe scared off.

Matt

More
11 years 4 months ago #600 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Move the Forum link back to the Main Menu
What browser are you using that makes the top menu appear half way down your page?
I moved the link now because it's my intention to change the template at some point and a lot of the menu's will be using the top menu bar.
There is an issue with one of the back end components on this template that put's the frontpage content after the articles so you have to scroll down to the "welcome" message when it should be at the top.
If you can post a screen shot of the top menu bar appearing half way down the screen i'd appreciate that. I've tested it in Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome but maybe I missed a common browser which is making it appear someplace else on the scree.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
11 years 4 months ago #601 by MartinB
MartinB replied the topic: Move the Forum link back to the Main Menu
FWIW it works OK in Opera too.

MB

More
11 years 4 months ago #602 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Move the Forum link back to the Main Menu
Thanks for letting me know Martin. Hey if it's really a big deal I'll move it back down. I really can't see that it would "scare people from visiting ths site" though, it's a bit of a dramatic statment Matt :P .
If anything having it on the left menu with all the other stuff was also making it hard to find. You'll get used to it ;)
I have more concerning things to plan for and add, and moving the forums link didn't seem that big a deal to me.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Matt_Poole
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
11 years 4 months ago #609 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Move the Forum link back to the Main Menu
Yeah, "scare people from visiting ths site" is a bit of hype on my part, Gary...and no ill will intended. Sorry if I struck a nerve. I really didn't explain myself well.

I have just realized that the Forums link towards the bottom that I thought was the only link is different from the upper menu bar Forums link. Honestly, I'd completely missed this top menu bar link. When the Forums link in the left-margin box disappeared I only recognized the link down the page a bit. That text reads:

RAF Liberator Squadrons

Written by Gary
Friday, 08 May 2009 00:58

Welcome to RAF Liberator Squadrons Home of The B-24 Liberator as used by the RAF and Commonwealth Airforces.

Points of Interest:

The Forums - A great place to ask all those questions you have and to hopefully get some answers.

I suppose that my error in missing the top menu bar reinforces my main hunch: that there can be confusion in locating the place to post a message if one of them (Guestbook) is on the left only while the other (Forum) is at the top and towards the bottom, but not on the left.

I tend to be somewhat dyslexic in viewing complex web pages and links, and there must be others like me out there. I just can't help it, and sometimes I find visual simplicity to be easier for my pea-sized brain to process. Having the Guestbook link and the Forums link together is easiest for me to figure out, though I may be an exception to the general viewer.

Good for you, Gary, for constantly thinking of site improvement.

I was using Internet Explorer, by the way.

Cheers,

Matt

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds