Monday, September 28, 2020
Text Size

So what do you think of the latest changes?

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 4 months ago #1489 by Gary
Gary created the topic: So what do you think of the latest changes?
So what are your opinions on the latest changes? I've implemented auto forum postings for new articles, the ability to link documents from within documents, I'm in the process of populating a new Image Gallery which lets you search for pictures by description. I'm also updating the metadata on the documents to assist in the search process. The site is now basically how I have always wanted it to work, with the exception of a few tweaks here and there this is pretty much it, and now we can start updating the content.
Talking of we Cynthia Kent has recently joined the "staff" and is plugging away at updating the details of the Liberators from 355 and 356 Squadrons. This information was given to us by the late Mike Jones of 355/356 Squadron Association fame.
Being able to comment via the forums on documents now means that you can help us to ensure historical accuracy of our content. If you have knowledge of something that we have written here please feel free to let us know. Post in the comments section of the article, you can add images and attachments to back up your information. While I'm keen to get your input I do want to ensure it's accuracy so give us as much info and "proof" as you can, I can't accept a simple statement of XYZ is wrong it should be ABC, I need something to back this up.
The site spent too long out in the wilds with very little new input from me or others, consequently we seem to have lost a lot of our regular members. Please pass on what you see on this site to others, we NEED all of the promotion we can get to get us back up in the Search Engines so post links in other forums if people are looking for info.
Thanks all.
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #1600 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: Re: So what do you think of the latest changes?
Hi Gary,
I generally like the new layout - I will comment more when I have a good look at all the sections. One thing I find is in the Squadron Records tab the squadron Subcategories section for 99, 120, 178 and 215 Squadron - why not just include these with the rest of the squadrons? I quite like the idea that when you select a squadron the squadron details page is displayed (i.e. showing the squadron badge etc.) and you can then select other items from this page (i.e photos, articles etc.)

I look forward to your new image gallery with search facilities - will I be able to update the descriptions on photos that I have posted?

Lets hope we can attract a lot more subscribers

cheers

Brian

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 4 months ago #1601 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Re: So what do you think of the latest changes?
Hey Brian
The reason I put those Squadrons on their own is because I know there is a lot of information about those particular ones. Assuming we get enough info I was thinking of creating folders for all the Squadrons. I've since created a general Related Squadrons document folder and I might just move all the docs out there. It's only because when you list the folder by clicking on the Squadrons it shows a list of all the documents. The site works a lot like Windows Explorer by having documents in a folder or directory and (called Catalogs here) and displaying them like Windows does. I'm a bit retentive if you know what I mean and like organised chaos so I tend to build structures for my documents. If we change the layout for the Squadron Document we could just link the related docs and then I could put them up with the others.
I intend to give people access to particular photo folders so that they can upload their own photos and add the comments and information themselves.
I think it's a case of having to offer the most to gain more subscribers, there was a time when everyone came here but as my attention waned other sites popped up and the content that was just here has made it's way on to lots of other sites as is the nature of the internet (you snooze you lose). It's now an uphill struggle to regain the top slot but with the new tool sets we have here and the lovely Cynthia Kent pumping out updates at a break neck pace it'll be a breeze.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
8 years 4 months ago #1725 by Tremic
Tremic replied the topic: Re: So what do you think of the latest changes?
Hi there

I like the look of the new site and love all the lovely comments about this Cynthia Kent - please feel free to send some more work my way as I am almost finished the help document and as promised will get it to you over the weekend. :)

Cynthia

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #1726 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Re: So what do you think of the latest changes?
As promised a zip file with all the 355 and 356 Records is heading your way as I type. David Howe also has a copy of these and 'm hoping he will help to contribute to getting some or all of the info on the site in a way that will share the information but will make it difficult for people to just grab it all and run.
Good to see Brian going mad with the updates as well, one thing to say though Brian is if you could delete the blue line if you see it at the top of the document. It's something I added to all of the documents to make people register before they could read all of the document.
Gary

Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Gary.

More
8 years 4 months ago #1727 by Tremic
Tremic replied the topic: Re: So what do you think of the latest changes?
Cheers Gary - I see that Brian only lives over the water to me - it must be us northerners we aren't afraid of hard work. :)

Cynthia

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds