Thursday, April 02, 2020
Text Size

RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl

More
10 years 11 months ago #503 by MartinB
MartinB replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
My two penn'orth:

I'd be inclined to treat the 99 Sqdrn reference (as per Each Tenacious) with caution. 356 moved to the Cocos about July 1945 alongside 99, flew a couple of supply drops and took part in "Birdcage" and "Mastiff".

It's entirely likely that the photo in Each Tenacious is mistakenly but in all innocence attributed to 99 Sqdrn, possibly from a portfolio of photos provided by Cocos 99ers for the book. Regrettably 99's ORBs are so thin that there are no serials mentioned after Jan 1945.

The second photo on page 213 "Audrey's Back" is definitely a 99 Lib, tho'.

MartinB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #504 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
Martin,

Thanks for those words of caution re the 99 Sqn link to KN746. I didn't think of emphasizing Oughton's non-link to 99 Sqn when I posted the Edgerley book source.

Months ago you wrote me a newsy e-mail...and damned if I failed to answer it. I get goofy in the head from this hobby, because whatever investigation I'm into at any moment sometimes multiplies geometrically when pieces of the puzzle start falling into place. A one hour bit of snooping turns into many hours, days, weeks...depending on the case. And I've been heavily into some deeply detailed investigations lately. Bottom line, Martin, is that I'm sorry I didn't write back! This is my cheap way of public self-flaggelation for forgetting. Hope all is well with you these days.

Matt

More
10 years 11 months ago #505 by MartinB
MartinB replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
Don't worry about it Matt - we all get like that from time to time. IIRC, there was once a really good site on RAF Liberators that went all quiet for a while, too.....:D:D

End of thread hijack.

MartinB

More
10 years 11 months ago #506 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
I've recently discovered that thread hiijacking isn't always a bad thing, it can even lead to open conversation ;)
And yeah I went dark for a while it was probably the worst thing I could of done for this site. It's been a real struggle to put things back in place, and people have moved on as other websites have emerged to fill the vacuum left by this site when I went AWOL. But it's coming back together slowly but surely which is really inspiring me to work even harder :D
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• jrf84
  • jrf84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 3 months ago #838 by jrf84
jrf84 replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
OK I hope you don't mind me reviving this topic?

Here's the liberator named DIANA,that I mentioned.

Larger view at lh5.ggpht.com/_LbE1RrtpTeU/Sxp3dDKGJJI/A...C%20B-24%20Diana.jpg

More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #1291 by Bluey
Bluey replied the topic: Re: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
I am really resurrecting this thread - and Glamour Girl to boot.. Attached should be a couple of pictures of KN746 taken on Cocos. The following are extracts are from my father's log - F/O Bill Howe ( Flight Engineer) -the one at the tail end. The other shot could be of the pilot F/O Myers but I'm not sure.

11/9/45 06.10 KN746 Base to Mineriya Ceylon 10.30hrs Pilot F/O Myers
12/9/45 07.10 KN746 Mineriya to Base 9.15hrs
16/9/45 06.55 KN746 S.D. Humour: Malaya 7.00hrs
24/11/45 06.00 KN746 KKS to Cocos D.N.C.O. Weather 5.25hrs Pilot F/O Neilson
25/11/45 06.00 KN746 KKS to Cocos 10.40

If Johnathon ( jrf84 ) looks at this I should be intersted to see his photo of this plane at the scrap yard.

Regards
David
Attachments:
Last Edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Gary.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds