RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl

• jrf84
  • jrf84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 9 months ago #55 by jrf84
jrf84 created the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
My great uncle served with 322MU in India at Chakeri sometime around 1945/6.In his photo album there is a photo of a bare metal B24,possibly an M model,as I can see a large square window underneath a tarp on the nose.The plabe was called Glamour Girl and it featured a painting of a clothed woman reclining.I suppose it's an RAF liberator,although I haven't found any reference/additional pictures of it anywhere.It had the Modification Center number 43-158 painted on it's nose

Does anyone know it's serial or the squadron it belonged to?

Thanks

Jonathan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jrf84
  • jrf84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 9 months ago #464 by jrf84
jrf84 replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
My great uncle served with 322MU in India at Chakeri sometime around 1945/6.In his photo album there is a photo of a bare metal B24,possibly an M model,as I can see a large square window underneath a tarp on the nose.The plabe was called Glamour Girl and it featured a painting of a clothed woman reclining.I suppose it's an RAF liberator,although I haven't found any reference/additional pictures of it anywhere.It had the Modification Center number 43-158 painted on it's nose

Does anyone know it's serial or the squadron it belonged to?

Thanks

Jonathan

More
10 years 9 months ago #465 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
Hello Jonathan and welcome to the site.
This is probably one for Matt as I think he has all the numbers. If you want to share these photos just shout ;)
Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
10 years 9 months ago #471 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
Hi, guys,

According to James D. Oughton's book, "The Liberator in Royal Air Force and Commonwealth Service", KN746, a 356 Sqn Mk VI bomber, was GLAMOUR GIRL (all caps). There is a large photo of the nose art on pg 274, and it indeed shows the Modification Center number 43-158. Well, the last digit looks like "8", but the artwork overpaints the bottom part of the number. The page 242 individual listing for KN746 says it arrived in Karachi on 9.6.45 and was aircraft "G" of 356 Squadron, named Glamour Girl. Oughton lists the Mod Ctr number as 43-158 here, too.

Cheers,

Matt

More
10 years 9 months ago #472 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
Here's a wee factoid taken from the notes provided by Mike Jones who's father was with 356 Squadron.

Two other trips in September were to prisoner of war camps in Singapore and Sumatra (2nd Sept in KN746, duration 12 hours 55 minutes and 6th Sept in KH356, duration 11 hours 30 minutes) where we dropped food and medical supplies.

Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
10 years 9 months ago #478 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: RAF SEAC Liberator named Glamour Girl
Good info there, Gary. Mike's dedicated research work will benefit us all for years to come, thanks to you, now that Mike's dad has passed the 355/356 Sqn archives to you.

Matt

Time to create page: 0.286 seconds