Lib researcher Robert Quirk has dementia

• Matt_Poole
  • Matt_Poole's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
2 weeks 9 hours ago #5672 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole created the topic: Lib researcher Robert Quirk has dementia
I chose "Log of the Liberator" to post this unfortunate news.

I knew Liberator researcher Robert Quirk was mentally declining in Winnipeg, Canada -- from talking with him last year. He knew he was unable to remember much or do computer work that used to be second nature to him. He was quite open about his obvious problem.

When he didn't respond to a couple of emails recently, I phoned and left a message. I did suspect bad news. His wife replied:

Re: your recent call to Robert Quirk, my husband, regarding research for
159 Squadron.

I am writing to let you know that Robert has recently been diagnosed
with dementia and is living in a retirement home for dementia patients,
not too far from our home.

He is very well cared for, comfortable and happy. He recognizes me and
chats away when I am with him, but his conversation is all about events
that happened many years ago, and his Squadron research. And he often
asks why he is there and when our daughter is coming up to see him.
Our daughter is a graduate student at McGill and lives in Montreal, but
has been here several times this year to see him and we speak by phone
often.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but did not want to leave you wondering.
Sincerely, Judy Quirk

Judy asked me to share the news with anyone who knew Robert or had been in contact with him. Obviously, he cannot respond to emails any longer.

It's my own fault that some of my stuff will be stuck on his website, unable to be updated or removed. I don't know how legacy archiving works for websites.

Robert's website, which contains some spectacular info, including transcribed ORBs, is found here: www.rquirk.com .

Robert was very analytical, and truly humble about his contributions. The amount of painstaking ORB transcription work he accomplished is staggering. He never rocked the boat -- a friend to all, as far as I can tell. He helped me tremendously and would often forward emails he'd received, but which pertained to my interests.

Regards,

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 4 hours ago #5675 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Lib researcher Robert Quirk has dementia
Rob was one of the first people that helped me when I first started out with this site about 25 years ago, as you say very humble and very helpful.
If you want to contact Judy I'd be happy to take over hosting of Rob's stuff. At least then it won't just slide off the net and in to oblivion and then maybe when it's my turn to slide off someone else can take over.
In the mean time I'll look at aquiring as much of his data as I can, the trouble with hosting is it can just all disapear over night, all those years of research gone.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds