• chippie
  • chippie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 4 months ago #1872 by chippie
chippie created the topic: RAF Liberator AL595

Hello to you all
Im currently working on a project regarding a certain RAF Liberator MkII AL595 which crashed near RAF Lyneham, 6th Nov 1942 on a night approch. I've got plenty of info regarding engine serial No and crew names and ages. What I don't have is accident reports if it was an accident? or eye witness accounts.
Infact not much due to the fact the aircraft was at the end of a ferry flight from Preswick after Turret/Guns upgrade at Scottish Aviation. The previous April the Lib had crossed the pond from the Consolidation Production Plant in San Diego straight off the production line. So you could say it was pretty sad that the Lib never got to its final destination at RAF Lyneham. The crew were very young, but Im sure it was the average age for war time crews? I expect the Liberator didn't even come on charge? Ive got one known photo of AL595 in its distinctive black and tan paint job. I think the photo was taken in Preswick SSA but Im not sure?
If anyone out there can help me on this subject or can shed the smallest of information I would be very greatful.
Thanks Graham
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #5553 by CXX
CXX replied the topic: RAF Liberator AL595
I have the following re the loss of Liberator AL595.....

6 November 1942
1445 Flight.

The aircraft struck the ground half a mile south-east of RAF Lyneham on approach to land and caught fire. The Accident Card implies that the pilot was neither watching the flare path nor using his instruments but was relying on his knowledge of the local area to fly his approach.

Crew.

F/L. George John Le Mar 27 Pilot +
F/O. Samuel Alexander Bruce Gordon 21 Co-pilot +
F/O. John Henry Fuller 22 Navigator +
F/O. Deiniol Davies 27 Wireless Operator +
Sgt. Gilbert Henry Gregg 23 Wireless Operator +
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by CXX.

More
2 years 11 months ago #5554 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: RAF Liberator AL595
Thanks for the info Peter, I've updated the aircraft record accordingly www.rafb24.com/index.php?option=com_cont...&catid=20&Itemid=394

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• chippie
  • chippie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
2 years 11 months ago #5556 by chippie
chippie replied the topic: RAF Liberator AL595
Peter thanks for the information regarding AL595, Five year’s on since the excavation and successful recovery of almost 7500 artifacts, it seems like yesterday I was turning every stone for information on the plight of AL595. We know so much more regarding the aircraft and crew now and have even been in contact with some but not all of the crews relatives. I plan to build a stone memorial for the crew in the future on the area the fuselage came to rest. This memorial has been plagued with bureaucratic red tape but hopefully things are now moving forward. The other issue I had was trying to find a home for all the artifacts but once again came to a dead end, so all the parts are in storage.
Once again thanks for the feedback and would be happy to hear of more information in the future.

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds