Sunday, February 23, 2020
Text Size

RAF Lib serials as found in 41 logbooks

More
8 years 9 months ago #1142 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: RAF Lib serials as found in 41 logbooks
Added to the documents section, thanks Matt

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Matt_Poole
  • Matt_Poole's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
8 years 9 months ago #1143 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: RAF Lib serials as found in 41 logbooks
Much appreciated, AVM Fowkes.

More
7 years 10 months ago #1280 by g4hlf
g4hlf replied the topic: Re: RAF Lib serials as found in 41 logbooks
Matt,

This is a link to my Fathers logbook, he was with 37 Squadron, started in Wellingtons then moved onto Liberators, hope this is of some use.

dl.dropbox.com/u/34350345/George%20Westwell%20Flying%20Log.pdf

Regards,

Paul

• Matt_Poole
  • Matt_Poole's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
7 years 9 months ago #1505 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Re: RAF Lib serials as found in 41 logbooks
Hi, Paul,

Thanks for the gem. I have added your father's Lib serials into my ever-expanding database. It was a tough assignment, as I don't have a 37 Sqn Operations Record Book to compare with. Nevertheless, I have added numerous new serials that I never had before -- and, your father George's logbook is my 58th addition to the database. My head is swimming, though...happily so.

Cheers,

Matt

More
6 years 11 months ago #4159 by Alfonso
Alfonso replied the topic: Re: RAF Lib serials as found in 41 logbooks
My first post so I hope that you forgive any blacks I put up in the following I also hope that this is a correct title under which to post if not will somebody tell me where I should post.
My father Ronald Wilfred KING F/L DFC serveD in 224 Squadron from 1942 until 1945 undertaking 2 tours of duty, Dec1942 until jan 1944 forty trips., January 1945 until September 1945 eight trips after that he was demobbed. He left me a diary for 41 of those trips and sufficient other 'liberated' documents to detail his seven others.
The diary is on a detailed trip by trip basis and it is obvious from the introduction that he really didn't expect to come back from any of them. The other information some of which enlarges on the diary information is mostly on the form of his handwritten navigators logs and some trip plots. There are also large documents detailing his training and for 1944, the period between his two tours, his teaching documents on Navigation.

As well as his flying duties he was Squadron navigating officer for some months in 1943 and after his teaching stint on his second tour. If one can have Ace pilots I think that one might describe him as an Ace Navigator. There is so much detail of his service history that I can only cover a brief description here. He flew basically in two crews until his last tour when he was obviously unattached as his flights are practically all with different captains.

This post comes about mainly because a nephew has decided to build a Liberator model and wants it to be his Grandfathers. A forlorn hope really as unlike popular belief flight crews , for various reasons flew in several aircraft my fathers documents note at least 17 different Liberators flown in on active duty. Some of these aircraft are distinguished by Aircraft number and station letter and some only by station letter som e of the m I can detail the type others I have no idea. I would like to fill in the gaps so here is a list , can anyone add anything.

1942/43. AL507. Z. 6 flights. From Beaulieu and St Eval
1 flight frm Ballykelly (N.I.) on detachment long range conversion, sunk a
A Uboat. Conv included removal of fuselage blisters and guns and an
extra petrol tank in the Bombay dangerous to the height of folly I would
think) but it worked with a kill shared with the Navy.
1943. AL965. A. 4 flights. ". 2 flights from Elgin
1943. FL966. L. 3 flights frm Beaulieu
1943. FL963. J. 1 flight from St Eval
1943. F. 3 flights St eval and Beaulieu
1943/45 G. 2 flights from Beaulieu and St Eval 2 flights from Elgin
1943. E. 3 flights from Beaulieu and St Eval
1943. O. 5 flights from St Eval
1943. R. 1 flight from St Eval
1943. S. 2 flight frm St Eval
1943. Q. "
1943. W. 1 flight from St Eval
1943. P. 1 flight from St Eval
1943. K. 3 flights frm St Eval
1945. BZ294. X. 1 flight from Elgin. (Milltown)
1945. T. 1 flight frm Elgin
1945. U. 1 flight from Elgin
War ends
1945.late May G. Flight from Elgin diary notes still spotting U boats but on the suface.
1945.septembber. Q. Lyneham to Castel Benito ( Cairo Egypt) and back carrying Freight

I think that although some of the station letters are the same all flights from Elgin would have been in different aircraft to the other flights.
Most if the the 1943 flights were in marks 2, 3 and 5 B24 Liberators and one or two flights in a mark 7 which was classed as heavier than the earlier marks and 10 miles an hour slower and a real pig on the one trip they had come back from off Corunna Spain on 3 engines, they were all happy when it was shot down.
Hoping for some help in indentifying all these aircraft at least getting pointed in a direction where I might be able to find the information.
Alfonso

More
6 years 11 months ago #4160 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Re: RAF Lib serials as found in 41 logbooks
Hi Alfonso, thanks for visiting the site and good luck with your search. Peter Claire is the guru on all things Coastal Command he used to be a regular contributor to the site but we don't see much of him these days.
I know the feeling about wanting to make a model, I chose to model one of the aircraft in which I know my grandfather flew in and did that one, knowing full well that it wasn't "his" kite as such.
If there's any help I can give just shout.
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds