No. 59 Squadron R.A.F.
|Description of the Squadron's Badge||A broken wheel|
|Squadron's Motto:||Ab uno disce omnes (From one learn all)|
|Brief History:||Disbanded 4/8/1919, Reformed 28/6/1937 Transferred to Coastal Command and recon role 7/1940 Transport after VE Day, Disbanded 15th June 1946 and reformed 1st December 1947, Disbanded 31/10/1950. Reformed 20th August 1956 Disbanded 4/1/1961 when renumbered No.3|
No. 59 Squadron was formed on 1 August 1916 and moved to France on 13 February 1917 with R.E.8s. For the remainder of the war No. 59 engaged in artillery spotting and reconnaissance work and was disbanded on 4 August 1919. The Squadron was reformed at Old Sarum on 28 June 1937 equipped with Hectors, initially specialising in night reconnaissance before being re-equipped with Blenheims in May 1939. The Squadron was moved to France in October and undertook reconnaissance missions before being forced out of their airfields by the advancing Germans. Withdrawn to southern England it continued to operate over France from British bases. In July 1940 the Squadron started bombing raids on the Channel ports and anti-submarine patrols and continued night attacks during the winter. Anti-shipping strikes began in July 1941 the Squadron converted to Hudsons. The Squadron became non-operational for a while but in March 1942 it resumed anti-shipping patrols off the Dutch coast. In August No. 59 converted to Liberators and continued with anti-submarine patrols. Then in December the Liberators were replaced with Fortresses although by March 1943 the Squadron was flying Liberators again. In May the Squadron moved to Northern Ireland and flew patrols over the Atlantic for the rest of the war. After the war No. 59 was transferred to transport Command and started trooping flights to India until the Squadron was disbanded on 15 June 1946. On 1 December 1947 No. 59 was reformed with Yorks and took part in the Berlin Airlift before being disbanded again on the 31 October 1950. On 20 August 1956 No. 102 Squadron flying Canberras at Gutersloh was renumbered No. 59 until4 January 1961 when it was renumbered No. 3 Squadron.