No. 86 Squadron R.A.F.
|Description of the Squadron's Badge||A gull Volant, carrying in the beak a flash of lightning|
|Squadron's Motto:||Ad libertatem volamus (We fly for liberty)|
Disbanded 4/7/18, Reformed 30/10/18 and disbanded 11/11/18. Reformed 6/12/40 and Disbanded 16/4/45. Reformed 6/1945? and transferred to Transport Command and disbanded 16/4/46
No.86 Squadron was formed on 1 September 1917 at Wye but did not become operational before being disbanded on 4 July 191 8, to provide reinforcements for active units in France. It began to reform as a ground attack squadron on 30 October 1918, but this was suspended when the Armistice was signed two weeks later. No.86 reformed on 6 December 1940 at Gosport and began convoy escort duties off the East Anglian coast on 28 March 1941. In June, re-equipment with Beauforts began and minelaying sorties started on 15 July. After flying reconnaissance and air-sea rescue missions for three months, the squadron’s crews passed through a torpedo training course and anti-shipping strikes began on 11 November with the first torpedo-bomber operation taking place on 12 December. A detachment sent to St. Eval on 13 December was joined by the rest of the squadron in January 1942, and anti-shipping patrols were flown off the French coast until March, when the squadron moved to northern Scotland. Patrols and strikes off the Norwegian coast continued until July when No.86 sent its aircraft to the Middle East and moved to Thorney Island where it was reduced to a cadre on 26 August 1 942 . Fresh aircrews began arriving early in October, Liberators being received for the conversion training of No.160 Squadron. By the end of the month, No.86’s own crews were converting and the squadron flew its first patrol on 16 February 1943, from St. Eval. In March, it moved to Northern Ireland to fly anti-submarine patrols for a year before moving to Iceland. In July 1944, the squadron returned to Scotland for the rest of the war and on 10 June 1945 No.86 joined Transport Command’s No.301 Wing. Trooping flights to India began in October and continued until disbandment took place on 25 April 1946.