Flights into the Night book by Anthony Leicester

• brianj
  • brianj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
11 years 4 months ago #302 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: Flights into the Night book by Anthony Leicester
I thought I would like to recommend this book as a really good read and an insight into life flying bombing missions in the Second World War.
I am currently reading this book again and enjoying it just as much as i did the first time around(about 5 years ago).
Although not about Liberators it tell of Anthony Leicester's time with 215 squadron (hence my initial interest)in India and the conditions they had to live and fly with.
He tells a cracking story from his time as a trainee pilot to his bombing missions over Burma flying Wellingtons. Its not just a factual type book but gives you an insight into the feelings of the men and the conditions they had to work with and the dangers they encountered.
The book comes in paperback and only costs about

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #303 by MartinB
MartinB replied the topic: Flights into the Night book by Anthony Leicester
Brian

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll try to get a copy as 215 was a sister Squadron to 99 in India, and Sandy Webster, 99's CO on the Cocos, was with 215 for a while. There's a story behind Sandy's transfer to 215 - I might spill the beans one day!

If flying Libs in India is of interest, then you might want to get hold of a copy of John McCredie's excellent book Survival of the Fortunate. It was privately published in Australia - there's a couple for sale in Oz if you search on abebooks.com. I do, of course, have a number of unused copies here in the UK which John sent over, a small few of which are signed by the author. If interested, try pressing my palm with silver...;);)

MartinB

More
11 years 4 months ago #304 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Flights into the Night book by Anthony Leicester
I'll add it to the books section on the site :)
Do you happen to have an ISBN number?
Hey Martin I'm sure you promised me a copy ages ago ;) But if I'm imagining things how much silver would it require to get a signed copy?
No rush I'm still working through Each Tenacious (3+ years and counting), so much to read so little time.
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• brianj
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
11 years 4 months ago #305 by brianj
Hi Gary,
The ISBN number is 0-947554-84-X
It is published by Crecy and the full title is "Flights into the Night - Reminiscences of a World War Two, RAF Wellington pilot" by L. Anthony Leicester

regards

Brian

More
11 years 4 months ago #306 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Flights into the Night book by Anthony Leicester
Added :D
Thanks for the details.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• brianj
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
11 years 4 months ago #308 by brianj
Martin,
How much would a copy of the John McCredie book cost me.

Brian

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds