• brianj
  • brianj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #130 by brianj
brianj created the topic: Uploaded Photos - Crashing Plane
Hi,
There is a discussion currently going on in Researchers Corner concerning a photograph of a crashing plane. The photo was supplied by James Moran whose grandfather served with 215 squadron and I thought there would be a general interest in the forum.
The photo in question is located at
http://rafb24.com/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&page=inline&id=1178

on this site.
Matt Poole has recognised the plane and has posted a query on
www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39496
to see if he can find out more details.
Matt's comments concerning the plane are as follows:

... I peeked at the photo of the plane falling with the missing wing...and, by golly, it is an RAF Lysander in green/brown camouflage, not a Japanese plane. The number on the underside of the wing, L4691, even matches up to a known Lizzie. I googled on this serial, and found proof, but I can't find anything on its fate. Nothing to match up to its demise. If I get a chance, I'll post a query on the RAF Commands message board, and someone will have the answer in milliseconds (well, milliminutes, hours, days...).

Any comments would be welcome

cheers

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brianj
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #821 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: Uploaded Photos - Crashing Plane
Hi,
There is a discussion currently going on in Researchers Corner concerning a photograph of a crashing plane. The photo was supplied by James Moran whose grandfather served with 215 squadron and I thought there would be a general interest in the forum.
The photo in question is located at
http://rafb24.com/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&page=inline&id=1178

on this site.
Matt Poole has recognised the plane and has posted a query on
www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39496
to see if he can find out more details.
Matt's comments concerning the plane are as follows:

... I peeked at the photo of the plane falling with the missing wing...and, by golly, it is an RAF Lysander in green/brown camouflage, not a Japanese plane. The number on the underside of the wing, L4691, even matches up to a known Lizzie. I googled on this serial, and found proof, but I can't find anything on its fate. Nothing to match up to its demise. If I get a chance, I'll post a query on the RAF Commands message board, and someone will have the answer in milliseconds (well, milliminutes, hours, days...).

Any comments would be welcome

cheers

Brian

More
10 years 8 months ago #825 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Uploaded Photos - Crashing Plane
The responses to my query regarding the fate of Lysander L4691 indicate that a) it became an instructional airframe and was not lost in a flying accident, and b) it seems likely to be a model, as a Lysander wing would not detach so cleanly in a flying accident.

I should add that I cannot see color in a black and white photo. I was just guessing that the camouflage was green and brown...

Cheers,

Matt

More
10 years 8 months ago #828 by MartinB
MartinB replied the topic: Uploaded Photos - Crashing Plane
Surely the main spar would run through both wings? I can't imagine what event would result in a main spar fracturing as cleanly as that in mid flight. If it did, then the likely outcome would be a large smoking hole in the ground with insufficient remains to become an instructional airframe.

FWIW, my money's on the model hypothesis.

MartinB

• brianj
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #829 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: Uploaded Photos - Crashing Plane
Hi
Just been reading the responses to the photo on the RAF Commands site and the general opinion seems to be that it is either a model or faked. I dont think it was faked by James as he supplied about 40 photos belonging to his grandfather and they all look to be genuine 1944/45 vintage.

Any other ideas?

cheers

Brian

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds