All gone pearshape

• Gary
  • Gary's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 7 months ago #196 by Gary
Gary created the topic: All gone pearshape
As part of the move to the new host I was testing a backup and restore process, unfortunately on Saturday I accidently restored an empty database over the top of the live site wiping everything out. I've spent the last 3 days getting the majority of the content back, we are still missing some Squadron pages and a few other articles but the bulk of the content is back. I was absolutely kicking myself as the backups that are taken every night have actually been corrupt and not including all of the data, it's my own fault I should have checked really. Anyway I managed to find some old backups and some recent data dumps and kind of mushed them all together.
One of my New Years resolutions was to actually move this site to the new host and to commit more time to the site, I didn't figure the first 3 days of the new year would be rebuilding the site lol.
Anyway please bear with me and if you find any pages that have errors or are missing data that you know was there at the end of last year please please please just add a reply here with the article details, link etc.
Thanks for your time
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 7 months ago #1051 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: All gone pearshape
As part of the move to the new host I was testing a backup and restore process, unfortunately on Saturday I accidently restored an empty database over the top of the live site wiping everything out. I've spent the last 3 days getting the majority of the content back, we are still missing some Squadron pages and a few other articles but the bulk of the content is back. I was absolutely kicking myself as the backups that are taken every night have actually been corrupt and not including all of the data, it's my own fault I should have checked really. Anyway I managed to find some old backups and some recent data dumps and kind of mushed them all together.
One of my New Years resolutions was to actually move this site to the new host and to commit more time to the site, I didn't figure the first 3 days of the new year would be rebuilding the site lol.
Anyway please bear with me and if you find any pages that have errors or are missing data that you know was there at the end of last year please please please just add a reply here with the article details, link etc.
Thanks for your time
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 7 months ago #1071 by Gary
It could take weeks/months to get back all of the records as they were. I'm literally having to go back through dozens of SQL backups and pull stuff out line by line.
I assumed that the forums were fully intact but as Matt pointed out this is not the case and I need to fix these problems as well.
I may never be able to recover all of the data but I'll do what I can, in the mean time all updates etc are off the table until I'm happy I can't do more.
I'm pretty despondant about all this, I had assumed that the backups were working as the records I checked looked fine so I carried on oblivious to the fact that all was not well.
In the mean time if you find records missing just post the details on the forums.
Thanks
Gary

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 6 months ago #1072 by Gary
It gets worse, I've just looked in to why acseac.co.uk is no longer forwarding to rafb24.com only to find out that the hosting company didn't renew the domain name (or notify me of it's renewal) and now someone else has grabbed it and parked it up as of Jan 5th. It's not been a very good start to 2011 as far as the site is concerned lets hope, it picks up. I'm just glad I handle the registration of rafb24.com myself.
Gary

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 6 months ago #1073 by Gary
At last a spot of good news, well it's mostly good news. I found a backup from June last year that appears to have all of the content. Unfortunately anything that was added after June hasn't been added, I might however haver copies of these articles and updates so if you know of a page that was added or modified please give me the url (address) of the page/article and I will see if I have it to restore.
I'm still working on the forum data, Matt can you let me know which posts have been truncated and I'll see if I have anything around for those that I can restore.
Thanks
Gary

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds