Text Size

Storm-damaged EV991??, Salbani, 355 Sqn, 18 May 1944

• Matt_Poole
  • Matt_Poole's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
11 years 1 month ago #735 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Storm-damaged EV991??, Salbani, 355 Sqn, 18 May 1944
Hi, Gary,

Thanks for the review of the ORB. Much appreciated, as it is important for me to know that the EV991 serial number given in the "Signed With Their Honour" and 355/356 Squadrons Register newsletter comes straight from the ORB.

So either the Oughton book is in error in its EV991 history (giving an arrival date in India which was five days after the storm damage date at Salbani), or the ORB made a recording error.

Sure wish I could beam myself over to Kew, Star Trek-like, to peek at all the ORBS, etc, whenever I needed to. In lieu of that, thanks for your help, Gary. Nice link to your grandfather, too. I bet he trained at St. Athan to be a FE.

My Oughton error/discrepancy/additions document is 99.9% complete. I'm making some fine-tunings and will send you a copy to peek at very, very soon. (It will always be a work-in-progress, and my comments are mostly SEAC-related.)

The Washington Post newspaper had a column the other day about phrases/words used to end letters and correspondence, and how some are wrong for certain situations. If you want to break up with a girlfriend, for example, use "Best wishes" to end an e-mail...and watch what happens. The newspaper piece said "Cheers" is "mock-Brit" and therefore can be interpreted as a phony way for an American to sign off. Well, I'm an American, but my mom's from England...so "Cheers" feels like the perfect word for me to use.

Best wishes...I mean cheers,

Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #736 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Storm-damaged EV991??, Salbani, 355 Sqn, 18 May 1944
Hiya Matt
No worries mate.
Mike Jones was very meticulous about recording the details of 355 and 356 Squadrons. He had transcribed all of the ORBs for both Squadrons prior to his sad death. Peter his father has kindly passed on all of Mike's research to me and entrusted me to continue the work. Peter has given me permission to publish any of Mike's research and I'm slowly delving through it all and will publish some of it in due course.
I'm very fortunate that Mike kept all of his work in MS Word format, I have uploaded all of his research in to a website I have at home. This site has now indexed all of the research and I can search for items with ease. All I had to do was type EV991 and I had all of the information at my fingertips.
The 355/356 Association had all of the ORBs for both Squadrons and Peter Caldwell was the keeper of these after Mike's death, they have since been passed on to Hendon (where I assume they will sit in some dark corner). I'm just thankful for Mike's untiring work that he did while alive, he was the single most knowledgeable person on these Squadrons.
He got us free tickets for Duxford air show one year, I and the family travelled up there and had a great day. He recorded everything and I was surprised that he had even recorded our visit to Duxford. He was great man and a really nice guy and was never too busy to help others.
Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Matt_Poole
  • Matt_Poole's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
11 years 1 month ago #742 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Storm-damaged EV991??, Salbani, 355 Sqn, 18 May 1944
Mike was exceptional. He was a hell of a nice guy who always did his best to help. Sorely missed!

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds